Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Knock on Supercharged 402 Stroker. Please step inside, lots of data.

Default Need Help With Knock on Supercharged 402 Stroker. Please step inside, lots of data.

Hey guys,

Have you had this problem?
    I’m having a little trouble with spark knock. I can’t seem to get past the 4000 RPM range without getting some sort of knock.

Mods: 03 Vette, LS2 Block stroked to 402. Forged rotating assy. Vortec V3 Supercharger with 60LB injectors running 10.2 pounds of boost. Blower cam, aftermarket heads. LT Headers. Spark plugs are 2 steps colder and gapped at .028. Plug wires are new GM Performance wires. Fuel system is a dual fuel pump setup and the AFR is a constant 11.2/1 throughout our pulls. Trust me it’s not a fueling issue. Since we were having knock issues I removed the normal dyno pids I use and concentrated on all the timing pids. I’ve done the normally aspirated 402’s and the supercharged LS1’s but this is the first suspercharged 402 I have done.

We are running COS3 02030003 The tables have been scaled so we don’t hit the 2.3 GPS wall. Car runs great except for this spark knock problem. It seems the more pulls we made the more knock we got. We were very careful to make sure the Coolant and Oil temps were the same for every pull. Things we are going to check are: PCV system, oil in the intake, clearance issues with headers ect.

I’ve attached our first pulls data log and the accompanying tune and our last pulls data log and the associated tune. Our first dyno pull had an extremely conservative timing table with no knock and around 530 RWHP. As we worked our way up with the timing our RWHP went to 615. It didn’t matter what I did to the boost retard timing tables we still got knock.

I’m looking for all the ideas you guys can give me.

Thanks for your time.

Randy
    DYNO PDF.pdfEFI LIVE POST_0006.tunEFI LIVE POST_0000.tunEFI LIVE Post Log 0006.efiEFI LIVE Post Log 0000.efi

If I looked at the two files you posted it looks like you have NA spark table values in the high octane tables! Don't use the COS tables until you get your main tables correct!!! Again I looked real quick but it appeared you have too much spark to start out with!

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports View Post
    If I looked at the two files you posted it looks like you have NA spark table values in the high octane tables! Don't use the COS tables until you get your main tables correct!!! Again I looked real quick but it appeared you have too much spark to start out with!
    Thanks for taking a look Howard!

I'll go through the timing tables like you suggest. When using C0S3 I have always left the stock timing tables alone and made all my timing corrections with the boost timing tables (A0010). I thought that's what (A0010) was supposed to be all about?

I'll start with one of my old boosted timing tables I used before COS3 came along and see what happens.

Have you ever had to desensitize the knock sensors for a noisy valve train system? We used the LS1 knock sensors on the outside of the LS2 402 block. Some people have suggested we make a change to those tables as well. What are your thoughts? We have never heard the knock. Just see it in our logs.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

Keep them coming folks cause I'm out of ideas.

Randy

On alot of cars I've found the blower assembly can cause knock.Must be harmonics. This is when you have to be carefull and really stay on top of timing and A/F. I prefer no knock sensors on our cars built to race and certain street cars because they can cause false knock.

For comparison we just dyno'd a 402ci with AFR 225 heads, 232 Cam, 10-1 compression and 12lbs of boost in a 02 computer Vette. 3k rpm timing was 22 degree's,4k 17 degree's and 6.4k was 18 degree's. Car made 700hp/650tq safely on our load dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhawk View Post
    On alot of cars I've found the blower assembly can cause knock.Must be harmonics. This is when you have to be carefull and really stay on top of timing and A/F. I prefer no knock sensors on our cars built to race and certain street cars because they can cause false knock.

For comparison we just dyno'd a 402ci with AFR 225 heads, 232 Cam, 10-1 compression and 12lbs of boost in a 02 computer Vette. 3k rpm timing was 22 degree's,4k 17 degree's and 6.4k was 18 degree's. Car made 700hp/650tq safely on our load dyno.
    Thanks for the reply slowhawk. 16 to 18 degrees is usually where we are depending on the type of fuel on the S/C LS1's.

Your comment about the belt harmonics has me thinking. I did crank down on the belt because it was new and I knew it would stretch some.
    I also didn't want it to slip while we were on the dyno. Maybe I should try to loosen the belt some? That's another item we will try. This is an A&A Vortec V3 S/C kit.

Anyone else have something I need to look at?

Randy

You could try some better fuel (race gas or meth injection) and see if knock goes away,
    if not its most likely false knock and desensatising sensors could be an option.
    Back yard boost
    347+ T76 = 770 rwhp 10.96 @ 135 mph

Johnv thanks for the suggestion. We thought about trying better fuel but decided against that since our first run had no knock in it with a conservative timing curve. We have discussed desensitizeing the knock sensors since we have not heard an audible knock in the engine yet. I've personally never done that and wouldn't know how to go about it.
    Would you have some suggestions as to where I would start and how much of an adjustment we should make? Thanks for your help Johnv.

Randy

Randy,
    You need to determine that it is false knock first, either with better fuel or Det detection muffs.

I would zerrow out "Burst Knock Retard" in your tune though and see if that makes a difference.

Not 100% on how to desensitise sensor but would start with the "Knock hardwear" --- Knock sensitivity table.
    Back yard boost
    347+ T76 = 770 rwhp 10.96 @ 135 mph

Thanks for all the suggestions Johnv. I was logging burst knock and it never showed any activity. I agree with you though,,, it never hurts to zero out that table. We will try that also.

Any more suggestions from anyone else? I'm looking at everything so, throw out your ideas.

Randy

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Randy, I do not adjust the Knock Sensitivity Tables directly. One Table I think is an easy one to change is B6207 KR recovery rate. I have mine set at .2500. If KR is encountered (real or false) the amount pulled is still the same amount, but the recovery rate is much faster than the settings you have (or stock).

There is no real liability to doing this. If the KR repeats, timing will be pulled again. But speeding up the recovery means timing will only be pulled for a second perhaps..there is really no legitimate reason to have timing pulled for 4-5 seconds for a single KR event (per your scan).

Some Tuners reduce B6202 & B6203 by 50% so the amount of actual timing degrees reduced is less, but that may not be necessary if B6207 is aggressive enough.

Obviously our vehicles and OS are different, but you wanted 'any' and 'all' ideas.

Good luck..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast