Thread: Newb tuner. Old ls1 car with my newb tune walked my new stock Ls1

Default Newb tuner. Old ls1 car with my newb tune walked my new stock Ls1

Quick background on me. 23 years old and my first tuning project was my 96 t/a with a lm7 swap with a 70mm and a 2 bar efi live tune done totally by myself. Was quick and dirty but safe and ran well. Still running today at 10psi. I was right at 19... 20 years old

The SD tune was simple to me. Tune the VE and spark tables. Easy.

I bought a 98 camaro (ls1/A4/160k on it) a year ago and spent a couple hours playing with the tune without a WBO2 and not sure what kind of progress i may have made at the time. I'll attach the tune so you can view it (and let me know how jacked up it is). Never really thought I made a lot of progress as the MAF tuning has me LOST. Not nearly as strait forward as VE imo. Turned off knock sensors.. changed timing tables... messed with fuel a bit (totally a shot in the dark)

I recently sold that car to a buddy and bought a 99 a4 ls1 with 100k on the clock. Very clean car. Stock down the the factory spark plugs. After changing the spark plugs, my buddy wanted to run em.

His car is a stock ls1 with a CAI... and the factory muffler hacked off. That and my tune. My car is bone stock. I jumped him out the line by about a half car and soon after he blew by me. Got me by about 2.5-3 cars by 100mph with his car hanging bad on the 2-3 shift. Wtf? Would have been easily 4 cars without the jump and his trans problems.

Here is the hacked up newb tune off his car and the stock 99 tune on mine. So what you guys think? Where is a good comprehensive tuning guide and what is your opinion on the hacked tune on his car? What could have been the reason behind the murdering he gave me?

Thanks guys. Thinking i may convert this car to SD and get a WB so i actually know how to tune it

First one is my stock tune... second is his
    Stock.tun

Oldcamaro.tun

Hi DF, welcome to the forum

Do you and your friend have wideband's...?

Have a look thru this thread: A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.

Thank you! Been lurking here and there for awhile now.

I haven't had a wbo2 since the turbo car. Haven't had a need for one.

I 'm having a buddy dig his up so I can use it to see if there is a significant improvement
    To be had over the stock tune. But I had only made a half ass tune on mt old car using the narrowbands
    And it beat my new car pretty bad. . .

When I get to a computer I'll check that out
    Last edited by Dragframe; April 20th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.