Thread: New convert from HPT ( SD tune questions )

Thumbs up New convert from HPT ( SD tune questions )

For more than one reason, I've switched over to EFI Live. Wish I would have started here to begin with! --

I currently have the 1-bar HPT SD-enhanced custom OS applied to my computer (04 GM Truck) - (Which seemed like a waste of the credits)

What is the best approach for me to take? I have read a number of threads referencing something about EFI live having a similar customized OS geared towards the mafless crew.

Should I flash the OEM tune back to my computer, read with EFI Live, and start over from scratch?

Any guides or tips on where I should start are appreciated - Thanks! -

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum

Other posters will have better ideas than what I write here...

EFILive can't read HPT's custom OS's and vice-versa.

So, save the changed tables in a spreadsheet, and reflash back to non-COS.

Then, there's a COS update tutorial included with the V7 software install
    (see Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Documents->Tutorials),
    have a read thru this, and post questions.

If your OS is not listed in the OS->COS table (in the COS tutorial), then you may be able to first flash in one of the 2004 OS's that is listed, this then allows you to upgrade to COS.

COS's are included in your V7 software download/install (no extra licenses needed).

Then read the AutoVE tutorial.

Then, if you ever decide to run NBO2's and MAF, read this:
    A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.
    Calc VET does this: uses NBO2 and wideband to correct MAF and calculate a corrected VE in one log.

Be sure to install latest V7/V8 software from EFILive downloads page

V7 = scantool and tunetool.
    V8 = FlashScan V2 configuration tool (V2 firmware) and supports BBL, BBR, BBW.

If you have FlashScan V2, it supports serial comms from wideband (i.e. avoids analog voltage offset errors).

Thanks !-

I'm stoked about the direct serial connetion to my JAW wideband. Was always a little off on my voltage offset with the 0-5v input, and could never really get it as stable as I'd like it.

Do they give suggestions in the documentation on what custom OS to install for what purpose?

Like for me with 1-bar SD tune, which custom OS would I pick? 1,2,3, etc?

I want to make sure I get this right from the start

Gotta make sure to flash back the original tune from HPT before shipping out the interface tonight. Although, there appear to be plenty of stock ones on the tune repository, and I'm running a swapped vehicle with a T56, so it probably doesn't matter that much what I start with.

Lifetime Member

Make sure you start with an 04 Silverado tune, preferably with the same engine displacement.

Once you get the stock tune back in using HPTuners, read it out with EFILive and post it up here. We'll be able to get a better idea of what COS to use then. There is a list of what COSs are available. Look at the Custom OS Upgrade Tutorial, download the latest V7.5 and V8 software from EFILive's main download page (www.efilive.com, click downloads), then open EFILive Tune Tool V7.5, click Help->Tutorials->Custom OS Upgrade Tutorial. There is a list of what each COS does along with what COS file you need depending on your stock OS. On page 3 of that tutorial it explaines COS1, COS2, and COS3 (COS5 is only available for 01/02 512kb PCMs). You will want COS3 to run forced induction.

Make sure if your OS doesnt exist as a COS that you find either an 03-04 OS (must be 1MB flash size) from a Silverado and use that.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; April 20th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The COS Tutorial lists the standard OS that have COS for them.

If your OS does not appear in that list, then you may be able to flash in an OS that is in that list (it has to be compatible with your PCM);

this then allows you to migrate to the COS.

You would pick COS3.

+1 COS3
    I see you have a JAW wideband , have one of the first JAW , still works .
    I pushed for the JAW integration for the V2 , glad to see it being used .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

And I'm glad you pushed!! I'm using the last of the old style, I think they called it a 1.41... seems to work great.

I didn't even realize until after I purchased EFI Live that it takes digital input from the wideband, and that just made the pot even sweeter.

Thanks for the detailed clarifications on getting started with the custom OS, I feel like I'm armed now with enough info to get going

Was a little nervous yesterday seeing all the references to "you need a commercial license to apply the custom OS", but that seems like it doesn't apply to the V2's.

All V2's with a Scan&Tune license include the 'Commercial' license.

All V1's sold after a particular data also include 'Commercial' license.

'Commercial' license is just a fancy way of saying that a full flash (i.e. OS plus calibrations) can be performed.

That's perfect - just a little confusing on the user end when trying to get acquainted, since a lot of older posts still talk about it. Makes for a nice history lesson anyway