Thread: Turbo brake

Question Turbo brake

Ok, I suppose someone will tell me that this has been discussed before, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time looking at search results.
    So, here's my question; I want to alter the tune I have now to have a turbo brake.
    1. Is it possible to have it only engaged when the T/H button is active?
    2. If not, why?
    3. Can someone, in SIMPLE, EASY TO READ AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS, tell me what tables to adjust, how much, and what it does?
    I'm very new to the EFI program, and tuning is completely new, at least from a PC controlled viewpoint. I used to have a '72 Chevy 383 stroker, and wrenched around on it, but that was a whole different world.
    Thanks!

Lifetime Member

Where in Oregon are you? I'm in the Molalla area.

this is a pretty good read
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...ht=turbo+brake

and this
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ht=turbo+brake
    Last edited by bballer182; April 23rd, 2011 at 04:54 AM.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

I'm in the sprawling metropolis of Scio haha! Maybe we'll have to meet up sometime!

Lifetime Member

Haha. I grew up in Colton and Scio was in our league.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

We moved here about four years ago from Kansas. Well, I lived there for ten years, but I was born in Portland, my dads in Hillsboro, grew up in the NW, and finally had enough of the heat & humidity. Wifes from Kansas, tho. She acts like she misses it once in awhile.
    You ever here of a Justin Novak? Doing tuning at a Blue Demon Perfomance, somewhere in CO? he's going to do some tuning for me, and I'll be doing some data logging for him. Might be doing some tuning sales for him.
    Is there a good shop in Salem for performance stuff? Like tranny and other fairly technical work?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkf View Post
    We moved here about four years ago from Kansas. Well, I lived there for ten years, but I was born in Portland, my dads in Hillsboro, grew up in the NW, and finally had enough of the heat & humidity. Wifes from Kansas, tho. She acts like she misses it once in awhile.
    You ever here of a Justin Novak? Doing tuning at a Blue Demon Perfomance, somewhere in CO? he's going to do some tuning for me, and I'll be doing some data logging for him. Might be doing some tuning sales for him.
    Is there a good shop in Salem for performance stuff? Like tranny and other fairly technical work?
    Good question. Never heard of him or his shop. And for shops in Salem? Dunno either. That's somewhere I never go. I never have business down there and steer clear as much as possible. Lol

Sent from my OC'd Samsung Captivate

Could I send you a tune to look over? I am losing about 3mpg, and it's just a tow tune.

Lifetime Member

is that mileage hand calculated or are you using the DIC?

I figured it by taking the miles driven on the tank divided by the gallons of fuel used per the DIC. I think the tire size was off at the time, not sure how much that would throw it off, the speedo was set for a 31.60 or something close to that, and actual was 30.25. But the tune was pretty rough all around, he has sent me a new one I'm testing right now that seems to be better.

'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado