Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCM lifespan?

Default PCM lifespan?

This is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, but if you all knew the background, you would likely understand why my brain has been rendered mostly non functional.

I have a C5 Z06 Corvette that had a custom 427 installed. The guy tuning it right now (He's had the car since September. Prior to that the car was in another shop for 11 months.) Been one problem after another.

The latest problem was a 1514 code, which they were working on Tursday. When I called later in the day to see how things were going, the guy told me that it appeared that the PCM had died. Getting all kinds of odd results, and wouldn't take a new flash correctly, apparently. He said that perhaps the PCM had reached it's useable lifespan for the number of flashes it would take. So a new PCM is on order and will be there on Friday.

That sounds bogus to me, but what the heck do I know? So I'm asking here, is that even remotely possible? If so, how many flashes would it take to reach that point?

Let it be noted that they were pulling the PCM out of the car to program it on a bench. So is it possible the PCM just got zapped somehow?

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06
    427 RHS block built by LME
    STS rear mounted twin turbos
    It nearly died on the operating table, but I'm bringing her back.

Lifetime Member

I believe the PCM flash usually has a life expectancy of either 10,000 or 100,000 flashes. They do fail, Ive seen a few on here where people report weird issues and then they swap the PCM and its just fine.

They could have mistakenly fried the PCM by using too high of a voltage on a bench harness or the harness was improperly ground. Unlikely, but possible.

Sounds like you're trying to keep a level head, 18mo without your ride must be frustrating beyond belief.

Why has it taken so long to tune, just issue after issue or what?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The flash chip used in the typical 0411 is rated to still function for 100,000 to 1,000,000 flash cycles... it may or may not fail after the rated number of cycles.

At 100,000 cycles, a PCM flashed 10 times per day would still be good for 27 years.

Having said that, it is also true that things fail (either by co-incidence or by mis-adventure); most flash devices will go past the rated cycle count, but as you know from the study of statistics, some devices would fall to either end of the bell curve (the low end representing premature failure).

If the tuner reads out the tune and compares it to what was flashed in, that would show if the flash wasn't taking.

What will the tuner say when he installs the new PCM and the same problem persists...?

If it's taking too long to sort out, then you might minimize your losses and shop for another tuner...

this has two benefits:
    1. you get your car tuned properly and in a timely manner;
    2. the tuner gets you out of his shop so he can deal with his backlog;

this is a benefit to both parties.

Also, if the tuner continued working on your car, and then eventually returned it to you, you have to ask yourself "will the tuner be able to support me in case I need further adjustments, and how long would that take".

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I believe the PCM flash usually has a life expectancy of either 10,000 or 100,000 flashes. They do fail, Ive seen a few on here where people report weird issues and then they swap the PCM and its just fine.

They could have mistakenly fried the PCM by using too high of a voltage on a bench harness or the harness was improperly ground. Unlikely, but possible.

Sounds like you're trying to keep a level head, 18mo without your ride must be frustrating beyond belief.

Why has it taken so long to tune, just issue after issue or what?
    Yeah, been one thing after another. Didn't help matters that the guy who did the original install (not the one where the car is now) not only didn't really know what he was doing, but he also ripped me off in a number of parts I paid for that he was supposed to have installed, but did not. Been a genuine nightmare that feels like it will never be over with.

I did not hear back from the guys doing the tuning, so I have no idea what is going on at this point. Talked to the main guy this morning and he said they are having problems tracking down the source of that 1514 error.

Been a bitch suffering this 18 month headache...

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If it's taking too long to sort out, then you might minimize your losses and shop for another tuner...

this has two benefits:
    1. you get your car tuned properly and in a timely manner;
    2. the tuner gets you out of his shop so he can deal with his backlog;

this is a benefit to both parties.
    Well, I'm in Tallahassee in north Florida, and to be perfectly honest, tuning expertise on the Corvettes seems to be very tough to come by. Matter of fact, the guy doing the actual tuning comes up from Orlando to work on it.

Options seem to be limited....

CorvetteFlorida.com

2002 Corvette Z06

Lifetime Member

Tuning a Vette isnt really that different than any other LSx powered car, certain tuners who have more experience with say a Vette, TBSS, GTO, etc know what to look for more than "normal" LSx tuners.

Do you have a stock MAF sensor? Is it descreened? Check out this thread I found: P1514 code. Have your tuner check it out, look at Engine Diagnostics-> ETC ->ETC Predicted Airflow. Table {C6101}, have them double all the values in there (or make them 200% of original). Then have them adjust {C6102} as well if it needs it.

Most of the P1514 errors are resolved (AFAIK) from adjusting these tables because the tune is setup for a stock 5.7, but now you're running a 7.0L 427 so those predicted airflow values are way low.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Why the heck would it be pulled out for each flash ??

Quote Originally Posted by L31Sleeper View Post
    Why the heck would it be pulled out for each flash ??
    That would be throwing up red flags to me in the first place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast