Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Mac OS X and EFI Live

Default Apple Mac OS X and EFI Live

Anyone using EFILive with VM ware or parallel to tune?
    Just got a Mac Book Air and want to do this. I will keep the PC and use that but if I can do it all from one machine...I would like to.

i would also like to know if anyone is doing this?
    Byron, IL native in a 07 LBZ CREW SB SLE 4 inch lift - S&B intake- 5 inch Black MBRP - EGR Blocker plate- PPE Race Valve - Fass 160 gal/h- EFI Live DSP5, ported fuel rail fitting, Readylift Tie-Rod Sleeves, 20' BMF Novacanes, 305/55/20 Goodyear Wranglers, Bestop running boards, GO PACKERS!

I know there there a quite a few people do it. Not sure about using the FlashScan V2 as a pass-thru device for reading/tuning/logging though. In theory it "should" be fine so long as the visualization layer doesn't introduce to much latency with the USB comms.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

I did it with VMware Fusion running WinXP (on virtual machine), it's fine.

I now do it with WinXP booted using Boot Camp (i.e. native machine WinXP), I like thie better.

SO I hate to drag up a semi old thread, but I am looking at the New Macbook Pro's to replace the POS Gateway that Best Buy sold me.......
    Apple claims 7+ hours of battery life out of them, but that is running Apple OS I am sure. What is the average battery life that you all are getting while running in the XP side of things???? I have heard some reports of less than 1 hour, some say 2, it is all over the board. Don't want to dump $1100 dollars for a Mac and find out the battery life is less than the laptop I have now. I have an Imac for home use and I like the way the Apple OS works, feels,etc... so I think that a Macbook Laptop would be a good fit for me but unfortunately EFI Live (or any other tuning program) don't support OSX, so I still have to use windows for some things!!! Thanks for any replies received!!!!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

I get 1 to 2 hours on a battery charge (it varies each time) on my older MacBook Pro.

Lifetime Member

Heck I get 6.5-7hrs with mild internet surfing on my 17.3" HP dv7t Quad, Intel Core i7-2720QM quad core, 8gb, AMD Radeon HD 6770M, BluRay, etc. Thats using the Intel integrated HD graphics, if I run with the AMD card on its about half that. Even on the integrated graphics, playing 720p video isnt an issue (havent tried 1080p yet). And I paid about $1120 shipped with tax for it. If you really want to run OSX, buy an HP then run VirtualBox and run OSX in that. Im doing it now, works pretty well but there are a few quirks.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yeah, the Mac is overpriced.

I'm thinking that a netbook might be a good in-car option since it is compact and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Yeah, the Mac is overpriced.

I'm thinking that a netbook might be a good in-car option since it is compact and cheap.
    Yah, I will agree that the Mac's are overpriced, but they seem to be a better built computer than some of the other brands that are out there. It seems like every new laptop I get (have had 2 in the alst 4 years) always have hardware issues, hard drive failure, motherboard takes a shit, memory stick goes bad (first for me) etc. Our 3 year old Imac has had zero issues that I haven't created myself . I am convinced that if Apple sold paper at $10 a sheet, they couldn't keep it in stock!!!
    I also thought the netbook route, but they are really tiny to try and type on, but I suppose one could get used to that. Battery life is phenomonal on the netbooks though. Maybe I will look into one of them and see what happens!!! Any brands to stay away from????? Seems to me like they are all bad, just some are worse than others I am looking for a strictly tuning computer, one that goes from car to car, not going to watch movies, surf the net, etc!!!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Apple does have very good quality, better than anyone else out there. And yes they could easily sell paper at $10/sheet (people would buy) and their stock would jump up an addition 100%

I find my MacBook Pro cumbersome inside the car (EFILive), and under the car (Picoscope)... the netbook form/factor seems less cumbersome... but you're right the screen/keyboard are too small; they do have excellent battery life.

I use a MacBook Pro because my employer has me lugging this everywhere I go since this allows me to easily ssh to all the servers in our lab (using VPN).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast