Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot get the PID's for either Calc or Auto VE table

Default Cannot get the PID's for either Calc or Auto VE table

Title says it, i have been on this computer for the past 3 hours trying to get the Calc.VE tutorial a go. And i do not have the PID's. I've edited the txt file with the supplied text and i still do not have them. I'm at the point where i just want to put the programmer back in the box. All the tutorials i can find are very basic. They don't go into detail for the things yall experienced folk think is just basic knowledge. The first time is always the hardest right? If someone could take me step by step ONE time to get the Calc.VE or the Auto.VE pid down. That would be greatly appreciated, i'm sure after i get shown it once, that would be enough.

Basically what i'm asking, is for someone to take 20 minutes and show me from start to finish how to do either the Auto, or the Calc(preferable the Calc). I've never done either before, so i'm starting from a blank slate.

Thanks, sorry for venting. I have to head to work, but will be back in 10 hours.
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    NADP Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    AFE Stg 2 Intake Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump EFI Live
    PPE Race Valve & PPE Fuel Rail Fitting
    BD Manifold 3" AFE Ceramic Downpipe 4" Straight Pipe
    Yukon Grizzly Locker Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    Leveling kit & 33" Hankook RT03 18" XD Addict Rims
    HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    Autometer Fuel Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges

You can simply copy the calc_pids.txt file from the Calc VET tutotial thread to overwrite your existing calc_pids.txt file.

Then open the scantool, goto PIDs tab, click on the column heading Parameter (to sort on that column), locate and select the pids.

Do you have a wideband...? Which one...?

Read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's will help, so start with those...

it all seems difficult and overwhelming at first, but it gets better.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Hi there.

Sorry you are so frustrated. Tutorials are always going to be limited in that it is nearly impossible to write everything one may encounter. A lot of times, the Validating of Pids, pasting, etc., are actually covered in other Tutorials. But so far we have literally helped dozens of people through the first pains of learning.

Step 1:
    When following written instructions it is imperative you follow it exactly. Most people get into difficulties when they Edit an existing calc_pids.txt. 100% of the time it is better to simply 'overwrite' the calc_pids.txt file into their computer.

Step 2:
    Validate the Pids. A lot of times you can not successfully validate a Pid unless you have the Scan Tool hooked up to the vehicle (key-on). You can punch away on your Scan Tool for hours until you learn that step. Even though the method has been reported to be relatively easy once you get it set-up, there are a total of six (6) calculated Pids used in this formula. Thats how it works. It took hundreds of hours of R&D and computer coding to make a very complicated formula 'easy'. They are 'sequential' Pids. That means sometimes the Calculated Pids show up 'unsupported' until you Enable the next sequential Pid. Right-clicking on your computer mouse directly on the Pid will usually tell you what other Pid needs to be enabled.

Step 3.
    A lot of people do not even know that EFILive has produced many Tutorials online that actually show you how to cut and paste. A fellow member TAZ suggests downloading all the Tutorials, put them in a binder, read them, and study them. Thats a great idea.

Step 4
    Logging. Sometimes mechanical conditions prohibit good Tuning. Don't get mad or frustrated at EFILive at this point. You have to take a deep breath and work your way through it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Summary:
    If you read through this thread:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....tire-VE-Table. you will find Joecar and myself (and Taz) have painstakingly helped many many people. Some have taken pages to teach how to enter a calc_pids.txt file into the computer. In some cases Joecar has edited their calc_pids.txt file online to help them.

Here is my policy. As long as someone is trying and does not lash out at me, I will help them online for months.

So try those steps and just calmly try the techniques. Remember Tuning should be fun!.
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Hello Rich,

To develop your tuning knowledge base at no cost, other than time …..

• print out all of the manuals and tutorials included with the EFILive software, organize them in a binder (it will be about 6 inches thick) - and read them all at least once
    • these documents are usually downloaded to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc - there should be 2 manuals and about 12 tutorials
    • review the interactive tutorials on the EFILive home page
    • read all posts on this Forum relevant to the PCM / ECM / TCM you want to tune
    • post questions on this Forum

Books and manuals would be the next avenue of least expense to broaden your knowledge base. Some days I think I singlehandedly keep Helm Inc. in business.

DVDs and attending classes are the next progressions from a cost perspective.

Regards,
    Taz
    I thought this was great advice!
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Joe or Shawn,
    Why not add links to the tutorial with pre-formatted calc_pids.txt and Calc.VE.pids files?
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    Joe or Shawn,
    Why not add links to the tutorial with pre-formatted calc_pids.txt and Calc.VE.pids files?
    Mike,

Shawn has already attached the calc_pids.txt file to the Calc VET tutorial.

The CALC.VET Tutorial (PDF Version) has been updated..http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....tire-VE-Table.

1. Pid Image/Text match page 1 of the CALC.VET Thread
    2. Link to CALC.VET Thread repaired
    3. Closed-Loop portion Updated
    4. Draft Copy designation removed.

Thanks for updating.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast