Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! PLEASE HELP!! Truck won't start!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HELP! PLEASE HELP!! Truck won't start!

Well, just as I figured...finally get the chance to play with EFI Live on my LLY, and something goes horribly wrong!!!

All I was trying to do was read and back up my stock file for my 2005 LLY and now I can't get the truck to start.

When I first tried reading the ECM, it said something about the ECM being locked, and I tried it again, but it hung up at 4kb of 1200kb and would not go any further. I hit the "stop" button and tried it a couple more times, and now it won't even connect to the ECM. I'm getting a "EFI Live cannot communicate with the PCM, Disconnect the Scantool if connected, Please turn off the ignition, blah blah blah" message.

HELP, how do I get my truck to run again??????
    2005 Silverado Duramax LLY - EFI Live Tuned
    1969 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup - Turbocharged 5.3L/4L80E - EFI Live Tuned
    1975 Avenger Jet Boat - 6.0L/Berkley pump - EFI Live tune in progress

Normally if there is a problem reading just literally shutdown the software, turn the key off and then just wait for maybe 30 seconds and the truck should be fine.
    WORST case, pull the battery for 10 seconds, that should not normally be necessary but it will cure it.

As to what went wrong, as a first step, try plugging the cable into a different USB port, we'll work on it from there.
    Also, please make sure you selected the correct PCM type from the list when you go to read (LLY of course in your case).

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks Ross!

So you're saying I should pull the battery cables off for 10 seconds and that should refresh it so that it will start again??

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income
    Thanks Ross!

So you're saying I should pull the battery cables off for 10 seconds and that should refresh it so that it will start again??
    Normally you should not need to pull the battery cables off, but if now after all this time with the ign off (assuming the ign has been off) and it still won't start then this will need to be done. Before you do pull the batteries off, just retry starting.
    Also, do you have any non GM aftermarket goodies installed that might be on the data bus, XM radio, GPS?.

Don't panic, you cannot kill a PCM just trying to read it.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thank you thank you thank you Oh Wise Ross.

I was freaking out, trying to figure out how I'd explain to my wife that my expensive new toy had just put my $50,000 truck out of commission...

I think I'm gonna wait to play some more until I've had a good night's sleep...(which will be FAR easier now, thanks to your quick and helpful responses)

Thanks man!
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income
    Thank you thank you thank you Oh Wise Ross.

I was freaking out, trying to figure out how I'd explain to my wife that my expensive new toy had just put my $50,000 truck out of commission...

I think I'm gonna wait to play some more until I've had a good night's sleep...(which will be FAR easier now, thanks to your quick and helpful responses)

Thanks man!
    -Jeff
    Hey, nothing like the feeling you are walking to work.

Out of interest, did you need to pull the batteries?.

Anyway, before you start tommorrow, I would try the following.

1 - Try a different USB port on the laptop, FYI, I have 6 USB ports on my PC, 5 work, one will not??, I have no idea why.

2 - Think about what aftermarket gear (if any) might be disrupting the data bus.

Cheers,
    Ross

No, I did not need to pull any battery cables. I just bumped the key and it fired right up.

The only aftermarket electronic device I have on there, is a PAC auxillary input adapter (2 RCA stereo inputs). I was able to log data just fine with EFI live, and my Diablo Predator never had a problem backing up or flashing the ECM with this installed, so I'm hesitant to blame it. However, if it continues to give me grief, I will remove it and give it a go.

That's fine, sounds like perhaps it is not going to be a vehicle side problem afterall. I just mentioned it because some aftermarket gear doesn't seem to conform to GM's communications standards.

When you next try and if it fails again, EFILive saves some files that record the attempts to read etc. They are located in -
    My Documents\EFILive\V7\Bug reports
    There will be a file called 'upload.blx' or similar, if you could please mail that to ross@efilive.com I can have a look and see what is going on.

Also, make sure you have the 'high speed' box ticked in the read PCM box that opens up (it is by default).

Cheers,
    Ross

If you continue to have problems disconnect the PAC. I have a Soundgate Xm adapter and it wreaks havoc on my EFI Live. You could also likely get away with pulling the radio fuse I imagine.
    09 LMM Duramax

Yeah, my cd player went nuts the first time I tried reading. I'll try pulling the radio fuse. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast