Thread: New and have questions.

Default New and have questions.

Hi people I am new here and I am currently building a turbo charged 2000 Olds Bravada FWIW it is going to be called a Bravoon

Anywho I am looking at doing all my own tuning but I am at a stand still at this moment as far as what I need, there are different versions of EFI live, different equipment, ect.

I need to know exactly what all I will need to start tuning my truck, everything from the software, cables, equipment, licenses, ect. Could someone please give me a list of everything I will need to get up and running and a rough price of what this will all cost?

Also I heard something about purchasing VIN licenses at like $100 a pop to tune other vehicles? How can tuners like Waitforme performance do tunes for $75 a pop then? Can you purchase something like unlimited tuning capability's so I would not have to keep paying for every vehicle I want to tune?

I am looking for all the information I can get right now and your help will be appreciated.

Lifetime Member

Follow the link below to a thread about gaining tuning knowledge ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....l=1#post144621

Individual tuning licences are $100 each. As an example a Stream Licence (unlimited) for the LS1-B controller is $2500. A tuner could then recoup this cost over many customers, and will set prices accordingly - eventually the Stream Licence has "paid for itself".

Equipment you will need:
    • Notebook computer with a good battery
    • EFILive software and V2 FlashScan
    • WBO (wideband O2 sensor & related components)

You will also require the time and determination to learn how fuel injected engines work, how the various control modules (PCM / ECM / TCM) function and how these integrate into over all vehicle operation, how to use the EFILive tuning software and interface (V2), and ultimately how to tune.

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks for the quick reply, I am not as green as a lot of people you probably get on here, I have been a mechanic for 20 years now and I am also pretty computer savvy. I fully understand everything about fuel injection and OBDII functions. I have never got into tuning however except on some OBDI vehicles, mostly diagnostics and repairs on OBDII's

I do own a laptop and already have a wideband that I used for dialing in A/F ratios on a few vehicles I have built in the past. I probably will not get into tuning other vehicles but I will need to learn real fast on how to tune my project I am working on. I will troll the boards and try to learn as much as I can and will appreciate all the help I can get.

Where can I purchase the V2 FlashScan? What will the cost of the software and flash scan set me back? I am assuming that I purchase the software right from EFI Live? Do I then just download the software and enter a license or do they send it in the mail?

Disregard questions above, I have downloaded software and found V2 FlashScans online. Is there anything I should avoid like buying used or Ebay deals...just dont want to get burned on my first purchase. I also see full flashscans and upgradable versions that are not full for a lot cheaper...what is the difference? Should I just buy the full version right off the bat or can I use the cheap version to tune my SUV?

Lifetime Member

EFILive software is free - you can download it and try it out statically (Demo mode) - from the EFILive home page. The V2 is around $800 (USD) plus applicable shipping. Tuning licences are contained within the V2 interface.

Despite your experience - which will be of great assistance - the learning curve is pretty steep. I had been in the industry for about 25 years - engine builds, custom cars, competition vehicles - all Gen I or Big Block carb applications - before jumping into the Gen III. I initially out sourced the wiring harnesses and PCMs for Gen III conversions - but now do these myself.

It took a lot of hours of reading, making notes, and familiarizing myself with the software before I was ready to "get started". One of the most important, yet often initially overlooked skills - is how to effectively log data, accurately interpret this data, and integrate it into tuning changes.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; May 14th, 2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: - more info