Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Conversions and Park/Neutral Signal

i have the switches, i will look how it's wired, i didnt want to disable the neutral safety switch.

thank you.
    1970 AMC Javelin. AES 390ci. MAST CNC LS3 heads,DragonSlayer-Ultra rods, Vic.Jr., wilson, N-W 102 T/B, 95lb. "FIC 1000cc. injectors", Lonnies Performance twin pumps/harness. Twin TC-70-65's flipped manifolds, A/W intercooler, TH-400, Griner 1+2 trans brake, PTC converter, 3.50 gear 29-18.5-15 tires. Alston Battle Cruizer 4-Link, Fab-9. Cage, tubs, PSI harness, 0411 ECM. EFI Live,

I normally just tune an engine swap with th350/400 or glide with a manual file. I still wire in a neutral safety switch but thats about it. Even my 99 camaro race car with a glide is setup like this and never have a issue in park or in gear.

thanks for the reply, i think that is what i will do.
    1970 AMC Javelin. AES 390ci. MAST CNC LS3 heads,DragonSlayer-Ultra rods, Vic.Jr., wilson, N-W 102 T/B, 95lb. "FIC 1000cc. injectors", Lonnies Performance twin pumps/harness. Twin TC-70-65's flipped manifolds, A/W intercooler, TH-400, Griner 1+2 trans brake, PTC converter, 3.50 gear 29-18.5-15 tires. Alston Battle Cruizer 4-Link, Fab-9. Cage, tubs, PSI harness, 0411 ECM. EFI Live,

I've got a Lq9 with a 4l60e behind it, running with a stock harness modified to stand alone. Now I need to run a crank learn and it wont read park position. I wired in a P/N switch, and tried grounding 32 and 32. still no park.... Any Ideas? Also drive by wire should hit rev limiter at 4k in park Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by msnelgrove88 View Post
    I've got a Lq9 with a 4l60e behind it, running with a stock harness modified to stand alone. Now I need to run a crank learn and it wont read park position. I wired in a P/N switch, and tried grounding 32 and 32. still no park.... Any Ideas? Also drive by wire should hit rev limiter at 4k in park Correct?
    I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you are dealing with a '04-'05-ish LQ9? I have attached the logic/truth chart for the park neutral switch and the wiring diagram for the park neutral switch. My advice to you would to be wire in the correct park neutral switch (there were 2 designs, early and late, I think you can interchange them, just have to wire the appropiate pigtail to it!!) to your 4L60E and then reattempt to do the crank learn procedure. Any time I had issues with crank relearn, it usually always boiled down to the PCM not thinking it was in park. Hope this helps!!
    Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNP logic.gif 
Views:	4503 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	12616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNP to PCM.gif 
Views:	1866 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	12617
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

You are using a PCM calibration from a vehicle with a PRNDL switch on the side of the transmission.
    You have wired in a P/N switch (which will supply a ground to the PCM when in park/neutral, otherwise open).

Now you need to change the gear select type to P/N Only. This is not available in EFILive. It can be done with TunerCat OBDII or HP Tuners.

However, without the gear select type change, you should be able to ground BLUE 32 and BLUE 34 to accomplish the park signal for the sake of crank learn. The problem with faking out the PRNDL switch (as just mentioned) is that for some reason the transition time to indicate park and in-gear is several seconds. I could see this as a potential for idle issues when transitioning from park to in-gear.

If crank learn still doesn't work...make sure no other DTCs are set. I've experienced crank learn frustrations because a fan DTC was set (the fan signal wire was not connected to a relay).
    24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

Sorry I didnt put the year in there, mine is an 02. And I also put a P/N when I meant I have a PRNDL switch. Sorry for the confusion. And I have tried just grounding 32 and 34 and still no park. Im starting to wonder if the problem is in the tune. Does that logic table still apply to the 02? Im thinking of going to a dealer and seeing if a Tech2 can command park and run the Crank learn. And as far as DTC's the crank learn code is the only one there. Sorry for all the questions, I just gotta figure this out! Thank y'all so much for the help!

If you post a copy of your cal I should be able to change the PRNDL to just a P/N switch with tunercat. I forgot about that!!!
    The logic table also applies for the '02, as all truck based calibrations used the PRNDL switch and the F body cals used the P/N switch!!
    If all else fails, you can fake out the PRNDL switch signals with a few jumper wires and some battery voltage to the correct pins on the PCM!! ALthough, it is much safer to fix it the correct way.
    Get me a copy of the cal and I will see what I can do
    Mike
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!

I didn't do the tune nor do I have a way to post it. The logic chart is very helpful and my prnd switch is sending the correct signal to the pcm for park. But shouldn't there be a 4k rev limiter in park for a dbw system? I'm beginning to suspect this is in the tune. All of the help is greatly appreciated!

I didn't do the tune nor do I have a way to post it. The logic chart is very helpful and my prnd switch is sending the correct signal to the pcm for park. But shouldn't there be a 4k rev limiter in park for a dbw system? I'm beginning to suspect this is in the tune. All of the help is greatly appreciated!
    I pulled a 2003 LQ9 tune off tunefiledepot and took a look at the ETC controlled rev limit in neutral. It is set at 5900 RPM so your cal is probably spot on. You can set it to anything you want with a tuning program of your choice, but from the factory it is set pretty high on this one!!! I will say though, sometimes the crank relearns do not take the first couple of times you try to do it. I had one just recently that I thought I was going to blow the damn motor up trying to do a crank relearn and then it took once and everything was fine!!!
    Hope this helps!

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast