Thread: DOD tuning

Question DOD tuning

Well with gasoline prices approaching $5.00/gal.(US) I am starting to play around with the DOD settings in my '07 Tahoe 5.3L/4L60 in an attempt to keep it activated a bit longer. Currently I have B0960 at 12 and am going to adjust B0950/B0951 in the 1300-2300rpm range for 4th gear by roughly a value of 5. I probably will have to play with the vacuum settings but am using 5 as a base starting point. Anybody have any experience playing around with these settings also looking at adjusting the AFM min/max rpms in 4th gear. the reason I say 4th gear is I have yet to see 4cyl. mode activate in 3rd, is this normal? Any help would be appreciated, I'm just looking for a bit better mpg's without sacrificing too much driveability or power.

I spent countless hours adjusting the DOD settings and it did help alittle but in my G8 I gained 1mpg by turning off DOD completely. I have done the same in many trucks also. IMO unless you live somewhere really flat you will not gain much by playing with DOD.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    ...but in my G8 I gained 1mpg by turning off DOD completely...
    Wow - I would have never guessed that! Was this result in combination with using COS & commanding a leaner AFR?

Mr. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P. View Post
    Wow - I would have never guessed that! Was this result in combination with using COS & commanding a leaner AFR?

Mr. P.

No, COS on the G8, I havent time to switch it over yet. I think the only reason it gained is because of roads here. If I lived somewhere where it could be in DOD longer I think I could get better mileage with it on. It just doesnt stay on long enough to help around here. I also went to New Mexico with it on and had it off on way back and got better mileage on way back.
    I wont ever turn it back on though because with my exhaust it sounds horrible in 4cyl mode, lol.

Same thing on my Truck 2008 1500 6.0 V-Max....Turned it off and got almost 2 MPG better...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Hmm, looks like I may try it off and see what results I get.

If I disable cat-protection, do I still need to disable the AFM setting? It is my understanding that AFM/DOD does not activate when cat protection is disabled, any truth to that? Thanks

Lifetime Member

mmm thats interesting! I tuned my first AFM last week and I disabled Cat protection as always do tuned the car, test drove it and gave it back to the customer...not even noticing that it didn't go into 4cyl mode (not being used to it i giess)
    The customer popped in today, wrapped with the way the car performed but commented that the 4Cyl mode doesn't appear on the dash anymore.
    I'm looking at it on Friday but this post may have just saved me hours and hours!!!
    Thanks.
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Yup, Cat Protection for whatever reason disables it (confirmed on my own car). I actually turned AFM/DOD back on briefly last week to ahve a "play" and it just sounded very strange on a car with headers/exhaust etc. It was promptly tuned off again .
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew