Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 411 swap did not go well

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 411 swap did not go well

This is my first try at any real tuning. (I've never done any of this before.)
    I'm swapping in a 411 PCM into a 2000 S10 2WD Auto (originally had a black box 494 VCM)
    I got the wiring diag from LexTech. The 411 came from a 2001 Chev TrailBlazer 4WD.
    I double checked the wiring, before doing a full-FLASH. I grabbed "2002 GMC Sonoma 4x2 Truck Automatic L35 4.3 Litre (OS 12212156) LS1_B.tun" from HoldenCrazy.com.
    I changed the VIN to match the original 494's VIN. I disabled the Generator F terminal(P1638), set the rear gear ratio(H0103), set the knock sens to resonate(B1402), and disabled the VATS(G1201).

It took a little coaxing to get it stated, but it finally caught. It didn't want to idle below 1000rpm. I kept it there until the coolant got above 160. It through P0300, so I did the CASE. Shut it down and waited. Through it all, the WB AFR stayed in the 12->16 range.

The small problem is, when I read the VIN w/ the V2 it does not give me the VIN that I programmed. I get the old TrailBlazer VIN. The OS ver matches the full-FLASH one that I prog'd.
    The big problem is that it is ticking and banging, like it dropped a valve. Is it real mechanical damage or could it be a problem with timing. It happened after firing up after running the CASE. Timing comes from the CKP, right?

I'm trying to figure out if I should swap back to the 494, or tear into the engine. (Yeah, I'm pretty sure it mechanical.)

Lifetime Member

Hello FeetDry,

Sorry to hear the swap has not gone well. I haven't worked on the 4.3 L V6 very much - mainly remove them to make way for a Gen III conversion. Hopefully someone with V6 tuning experience will jump in - that engine uses a 3x CKP and a CMP sensor on the distributor.

Regarding the VIN - it is stored in the PCM, and I find it often remains unchanged, even after a full (OS & CAL) flash. To change the VIN - connect to the PCM with the V7 Tune Tool. Select the "Flash" menu from the top of the screen ... then select "PCM security" ... a window will open with tabs ... the tab on the right should be "VIN / BCC" this will allow to to change the VIN to the one that matches your vehicle.

Regarding the "ticking & banging" - that may be mechanical, but it can also happen when the timing is way off - have had it happen many times on carbed Gen I with a distributor. It memory serves the valve covers on your V6 are plastic and held in place with 3 bolts in the centre of the covers. The valve cover seals should be rubber - and reusable if not rock hard from age. You may want to remove the valve covers, just to confirm the valve train is indeed intact.

Also, just to keep the thread from taking an unnecessary tangent - by "2001 Chev Trailblazer 4WD", you are obviously referring to an S10 Blazer / S15 Jimmy not a Trailblazer / Envoy (as these use a different PCM).

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; May 20th, 2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: - additional information

Default Why is full_FLASH grayed out?

Hello Taz,

I got the VIN issue taken care of. Thanks.

There are no problems showing under the valve covers.

I had a single cyl miss before I ran the CASE, and the banging started after running it. I figure the miss was fuel related. I was seeing AFR's of 12 at low ((1000) RPM. The exhaust smell tells me the CAT was cooking. Is an AFR range of 12 -> 16 for ~20 min OK?

I'd like to clear the CASE table to see if that will have an effect. I'm not sure how to do this though. There is an option to leave the CASE data or clear it in the full-FLASH/CASE window/tab. I'm not sure what this does. It is a checkBox, so I'm thinking it is an option for the full-FLASH operation. i.e. I can't clear the CASE data w/ this window along, I need to do a full-FLASH to do it. But Full-FLASH is grayed out in the V7 Tune window. I'm not sure why. (Suggestions?)

There is no banging w/ just turning it over (no spark), so I'm thinking head/exhaust gasket or it is a timing issue. Any idea how to isolate the timing issue idea? (If I did a full_FLASH will that take me back to before the CASE state?)

Thanks
    ML

After disconn from the vehicle, full_FLASH is no longer grayed-out. (I'm not sure what is different now.)
    I'm going to redo the full-FLASH w/ clear CASE selected, and see what that does. It will take me a few hours to put the valve covers & everything else back on.

Does the OS do anything w/ the VIN? i.e. Does the VIN number do anything to the operation of the PCM?

Thanks,
    ML

Lifetime Member

Glad to hear the valve train looks OK. The VIN is stored in the PCM and does not effect tuning in anyway that I know. I believe the VIN is detected / used by the Scan Tool regarding features / PIDs.

Not a bad idea to full flash the PCM again - and yes - clear the CASE data. Afterward, when you do the CASE with the Scan Tool ensure all required conditions are met - also keep your foot on the brake pedal (brake switch activated) prior to activating the CASE routine, and until after you have completed the routine and turned the key "off".

Best of luck ....

Regards,
    Taz

The reFLASH did not help the noise problem. The noise is a banging sound which matches the RPM. The banging sound changes to a shreeking sound when it feels like it. It will typically do it when you give it a little throttle. It is loudest at the back around #6 cyl. It is very loud when heard through the bellhousing observation hole.
    The sound has me scratching my head. A bad rod bearing at the back? I'm pretty sure #6 is the first stop in the crank oil circuit. The shreeking doesn't make any sense. I have a hard time thinking anything can sheek like that inside a crankcase. Disconnecting #6 spark wire almost seemed to make the knocking worse. (Maybe it was the same.)
    Any guess if this could be a cracked flex-plate? I'm thinking about unbolting the torque converter and seeing what that does. I'm not sure if I can seperate the TC & flexplate enough so they don't touch.

I doubt the PCM swap caused this. I think it was the high RPM of the CASE operation. Coincidence,.. bad luck,.. etc.

Lifetime Member

Do you have a log of while it is running? Does your knock sensor have a bolt that runs through it, or does it thread into the engine?
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by nevinsb View Post
    Do you have a log of while it is running? Does your knock sensor have a bolt that runs through it, or does it thread into the engine?
    It threads into the block behind the distrib cap. B1402 has been set to resonant.

I have a small log from a ~10 min warmup cycle. It is the LS1 sample (default). It has the GM.KR & WB AFR data. Retard due to knock stays at zero. The AFR's are just under 12 to 14. It is mostly in the 13's.

What is your engine's firing order...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    What is your engine's firing order...?
    1 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 These use a reprogrammed distrib cap.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast