Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Here. Need some help on 09 5.3 / 6L80e and e38

Hi GMPX

Thanks for the reply and information.

From what I have found out reading online.. A Corvette Flash would probably be a good place to start...
    However .. I think the LS2 stop showing up in Corvette in 07 or 08 .. Since my E38 is an 09.. What Ive been reading online ( A sticky on here ) .. I can not flash it with anything other than an 09 Flash right ?

The 09 Corvetter went to a LS3, which uses a different intake/TB/heads/Pedals .. so I wont be able to use it :-(

Should I try to find an older E38 ? Maybe an 07 or 08 that will take the Corvette Flash ?

Honestly .. Im not even going to consider HPTuners.
    From what I have read online and on these forums .. EFI Live is a great package. I like that you can also log and flash with out having to lug around a PC.
    I still trying to figure out if I have the knowledge to do all this tunning my self or find someone local with EFI Live that can do the tunning for me.

I would love to beable to tinker with all of this myself .. I think that is part of the fun with these cars...

Does EFI Live allow me to flash the 6L80E with a different OS too ? Im guess I would need to flash it with a Corvette flash too ??

Thanks Again for all the help!!

Lifetime Member

Hello Allen,

Again, I'm the Gen III guy - from my understanding of the Gen IV - the most straight forward solution would be to use a truck TB (throttle body) - that's what the gentleman in the thread I linked in post #4 above did. He used an LS3 intake, MAP, injectors, and an L92 TB. You can use pretty much any MAF you want.

Changing an OS in the Gen IV platform requires a Tech 2 or J2534 compliant device - EFILive or HPTuners does not flash all the programming contained within the ECM / TCM.

So for you, a 2009 Silverado / Sierra / Avalanche / Tahoe / Yukon 5.3 L 6L80 4 x 2 "base tune' would be a good starting point for the ECM / TCM combination. You need to confirm what tune is already in the TCM - if its compatible you would then only require the ECM "base tune" flashed into your E38.

Regards,
    Taz

I went by my local Chevy dealer and talked to a service guy.
    He said it would be no problem flashing my ecu to whatever I wanted.

The TCM, he was not completely sure if and what all it would take to flash it.

Hi Taz.. I thought about using the truck throttle body also.. However I don't think the truck pedal will work for me.. I think it's too large... That's why I was going with the corvette pedal.. It's pretty small and compact and other streetrodders have recommended it.

Even though I'm using a LS2 intake, I think I can bolt on a LS3 throttle body from an 09 Corvette. This would allow me to run the 09 Corvette OS.. From what I've read the LS3 is suppose to be a better throttle body anyways.

In theory ... Throttle Body, ECU OS, Pedal will all come from a 09 Corvette.. Which does support the 6L80e ... :-)

Any reason why this combination wouldn't work??

Thanks again!
    Allen
    Last edited by DarkKnightWong; May 23rd, 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Lifetime Member

Going to need input from a Forum member who does Gen IV swaps. With the Gen III - the PCM / TAC / TB have to be mutually compatible - but nearly any APP (throttle pedal) may be used. Gen IVs don't use a TAC module - its functions were incorporated into the ECM. So that leaves the ECM / TB / and APP. The ECM (tune) and TB must be compatible. The question is - with a Gen IV, can any APP be used ?

If any APP may be used - it would put the more cost effective truck parts, and a 5.3 L compatible truck tune, back on the table.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

I think the answer is no, the APP must match the ECM/TB in order for everything to work in harmony. If anyone who has tried this can chime in, it would be really helpful! If it is the case and you can use a Vette APP with a truck OS then using the 09 Silvy OS would be easy.

If you run a Vette LS3 TB, APP, then an 09 Vette ECM and TCM matched pair OSs sounds like a good place to start IMO. If you have all these parts from an 09 Vette (E38 just has to be an 09, dealer can flash the proper 09 OS into it), then it should be doable. I want to say easy, but little things do pop up from time to time!

Dont worry too much about the displacement of the 5.3 being smaller than the Vette LS3, thats easy to change.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Pedal has to match the OS in the ECU and match the throttle body... the pedals run 2 seperate pots inside. some have app1 from 0-5v while app2 is 0-2.5v while others run both app1 and app2 0-5v , have even seen some run app1 0-5v and app2 5-0v

was testing a Hummer the other day running a trailblazer OS, LS2 engine and hummer I5 pedal - the APP1 went 0-5v and APP2 went 0-2.5v. the pedal would work for 5 or 6 goes then throw a 2138 code.... all cause the voltages were slightly off... swapped it to a CTS-V OS to test and all was OK
    Last edited by doubledip; May 24th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
    ---------------------------
    E38's got to love them
    E40's hate 'em

LS1's is there anything it wont work on

Holden VE SSV - GEN46L

www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

www.dualflash.com.au

Sounds like if I stick with all 09 Corvette TB, ECU OS, Pedal I should be ok...

Have people had good experience flashing a 6L80e out of a 2WD truck with the corvette flash?
    That part is still very fuzzy to me... I have not been able to find a lot of info on how flashing the tcm inside these transmission go... Do I even need to flash it?? If it's an 09 6L80e... Can the Corvette OS on the E38 talk to it...

Lifetime Member

Doubledip would probably know for certain. Logically, as long as the Slave OS in the ECM (E38) was the same in the original truck ECM the A6 was from, and the Corvette ECM you plan to use - it may work.

Don't know for sure ... never done one.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    ...If you run a Vette LS3 TB, APP, then an 09 Vette ECM and TCM matched pair OSs sounds like a good place to start IMO... Dont worry too much about the displacement of the 5.3 being smaller than the Vette LS3, thats easy to change.
    Exactly what I would suggest - you are in essence building a LS3 drivetrain package that just happens to be a little smaller displacement; use all controls (ECM, TB, APP, TMAP sensor) from an LS3. Then use a Tech2 to "marry" the ECM & TCM as if it all was all pulled from the same donor vehicle. After that, THEN start using EFILive. But before that point, I personally would put the motor & tranny side-by-side on the shop floor and hook-up all the harnesses & sensors & controls & ECM & BCM, put 12v battery to it all and make sure that it works outside of the vehicle first, and that it can be reprogrammed with the Tech2; once you know everything is working then all you have to do is physically get it transplanted into your vehicle. My 2-cents.

Mr. P.
    2003 Silverado SS, with Novi-1500 "CAI mod"
    EFILive V 7.5 COS-3 (OLSD, for now!)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightWong View Post
    Sounds like if I stick with all 09 Corvette TB, ECU OS, Pedal I should be ok...

Have people had good experience flashing a 6L80e out of a 2WD truck with the corvette flash?
    That part is still very fuzzy to me... I have not been able to find a lot of info on how flashing the tcm inside these transmission go... Do I even need to flash it?? If it's an 09 6L80e... Can the Corvette OS on the E38 talk to it...
    I have been told that all TCM's are interchangeable upto but not including MY10.. so the 'Flash' from TIS/Tech2 will go into them. My personal experience has been with TCM's from MY07-MY08 that i knew of (although i have flashed a few TCM's that were physically out of the box so am unsure of what year they were). As long as you TIS in the same VIN OS to the ECU and TCM and the pedal and TB match up with that same car it will all be good
    ---------------------------
    E38's got to love them
    E40's hate 'em

LS1's is there anything it wont work on

Holden VE SSV - GEN46L

www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

www.dualflash.com.au

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast