Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading transmission, new license?

Default Upgrading transmission, new license?

Hello guys!

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 6.2L 4x4, 6L80E. I can already tell that the whipple supercharger @ 10PSI is not going to make tranny last. My question is I do not want to pull the tranny to rebuild due to downtime, I will probably get the Pterodactyl 6l80e from PATC and replace. They say the new tcm will need to be programmed of course so,... Can I use the complete flash from my previous transmission to program the new TCM with my current license? in effect making it my current TCM. Or will it require a new license? I don't want to be sitting in the shop after install and find out that I'm dead in the water.
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I did try searching the threads.
    Thanks for your help!

You could flash in your current tune, but you still need another license for the new trans.

Lifetime Member

I was initially thinking no problem, then I realized its a 6 speed auto with the integrated TCM. You could pull the existing TCM out of yours and swap it, but then you'd have to tear the stock trans apart and might be down for a few days.

So yes, you will need a new TCM license. However, your V2 comes with 2 VIN licenses from EFILive. There is no reason you cant use the TCM part of the 2nd license on your new trans and still have the ECM (or PCM, find someone who has a PCM and program it) part of the 2nd license available.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the replies! Is there any way to tell what licenses are left in the V2? Here's the deal, I used one license to tune the pcm on a 2005 GTO with a Manual 6 speed. The car is gone now. Does this use up the tcm portion of that license also? Just trying to understand how the V2 uses the licenses. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    ...You could pull the existing TCM out of yours and swap it, but then you'd have to tear the stock trans apart and might be down for a few days...
    ??? Looking at the service manual for the 6-speed autos, swapping the TCM doesn't seem to be all that difficult a job - couldn't you do that during the trans swap? Remove the existing trans, pull both pans and swap TCMs, then install the upgraded trans? Are you doing a converter swap too?

Mr. P.
    2003 Silverado SS, with Novi-1500 "CAI mod"
    EFILive V 7.5 COS-3 (OLSD, for now!)

You might even ask PATC if they would ship the trans *without* a TCM (because you'll furnish your own), and that might save you $$$ off the cost of the unit. ???
    2003 Silverado SS, with Novi-1500 "CAI mod"
    EFILive V 7.5 COS-3 (OLSD, for now!)

Good point on the tcm swap. I just thought they might have buried it in there but since I will have them both on the ground that wouldn't take long to do. That's the route I'll probably take then. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Longslyde View Post
    Does this use up the tcm portion of that license also?
    You can mix/match.

ok guys, got the new transmission in but I cannot perform a full flash. The "Full reflash" option is greyed out. I can only read and program calibrations. I need to full flash. What am i missing?

Do you have a transmission calibration file open...?

Did you enter the blue card registration info (go Help->About, does it mention "demo"...?)...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast