Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E38 G0901 Table for Fans settings

HI Taz
    Thank you very much.
    Is the hi side fan pin the same as a standard GM LS3 like a Camaro or Caddi?
    Thanks
    Eldon

Lifetime Member

With an E67 ECM, the Low Fan control is J3 (Grey) pin 49. The High Fan control is J1 (Blue) pin 54.

As you know, the ECM grounds the low voltage side of the fan relay to activate the fan(s).

Cheers,
    Taz

HI Taz
    Thank you very much.
    Eldon

Lifetime Member

Hi Eldon,

I missed one setting in the tune I posted earlier - don't use it. Try the tune attached below.

Cheers,
    Taz

Hi Taz
    Thank you.
    Works perfectly.
    The fan comes on at 180ish however the cooling system isn't cooling sufficiently to bring it down to turn the fan off. It stabilizes at 198 so there is a bit of work to do.
    Thanks
    Eldon

Lifetime Member

Hi Eldon,

Those fan settings are not realistic for this project. If you are currently achieving equilibrium at 198F, with some efforts to seal the fans / shroud on the backside of the radiator, and some baffles on the front side of the radiator to direct the airflow - you should get more air flowing through the radiator (rather than flowing around the radiator).

The above efforts might get you to 188F or so (8F above the thermostat). I can post your tune again with the fans reset. What do you think of trying Fan 1 OFF at 188F, Fan 1 ON at 194F, Fan 2 OFF at 194F, and Fan 2 ON at 197 F ?

If you can get the equilibrium temperature down 10F, then with these fan settings, the fans may actually turn off for brief periods of time.

Cheers,
    Taz

It really does not make sense to enable fans within 5 degrees of your thermostat "full open" coolant temp. All this does is create excess thermal stress on engine parts from the additional cycling and reduced fan life. The quoted thermostat temp is usually the "crack" temp.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Taz: Thank you, I am thinking very much what you suggested. I want to check some mechanical things first; ensure the thermostat is in fact a 180, that the air flow through the rad is correct and the rad is sufficient. At that point I would ask for you to make a change to the cal. If the thermostat is a 195 it has stabilized on the stat so need to set the fan around that point (or put a lower stat in).

Killerbee: What do you suggest?

The vehicle will most times, cool itself unaugmented, the stats just need to be allowed to fully open. Without open stats, and low coolant flow, the fans really are not doing anything except lowering economy (parasitic load), making noise, etc.

I am not suggesting what specific temps you use, but I am not a fan of fan activity when avoidable. I wish we had the capability of doing what you are doing. I would program the first fan on around 210-220, as a start point. The 2nd one 10-20 degrees later. For gas powered vehicles you have detonation (octane) considerations that we do not worry about. Understood.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Lifetime Member

For reference, I have my LS2 set to bring the fans on low at 196F and the high at 204/206. Currently has a 180* tstat installed.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast