Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: E38 G0901 Table for Fans settings

Lifetime Member

Hi Eldon,

When you get the thermostat type confirmed (180F vs 192F), and the mechanicals configured to your liking, just let me know what fan parameters you would like to try. I will change them as many times as you need, until both you and your customer are content.

Despite comments to the contrary, the fan settings suggested in post #26 will work just fine for a 180F thermostat, as long as the overall cooling system is adequate.

With a naturally aspirated engine using a sufficiently robust cooling system, and ambient atmospheric temperature in the 80F to 90F range, a 192F thermostat will generally stabilize ECT at, or just above, the thermostat rating. A 160F thermostat will generally stabilize ECT in the low 170F range (generally 172F to 174F). A 180F thermostat will generally stabilize ECT around, or just under, 190F.

Every custom vehicle is unique, only you will know what will or won't work correctly for this particular combination.

Cheers,
    Taz

Hi All
    Thank you for your comments. My apols for not being active for a bit. I have been obtaining and installing some components with SEMA in between.

I have installed twin 11" Maradyne fans with their shroud. It fits the core almost exactly. Then changed the thermostat out to a 180F one. Interestingly enough Caddi's have a 187 while Camaro's come with a 180. Now I am wiring the fans and want to turn them on separately per the above posts (Taz I would very much like to turn them at your suggestion in post 26, thanks!). It is a GM performance harness which according to their instructions is populated in J1 pin 54. The instructions say this goes to Fuse Bus 7D (as does the lo fan J3 pin 49 go to Fuse Bus Pos 7D) does anyone know "wiring" at the fuse box for the hi Fan?

Thanks
    Eldon

Lifetime Member

Hello Eldon,

Attached is the tune you requested - with the Fan settings as listed in post #26. Try it out, and see if it will work for your project - if does not work the way you would like, just let me know what Fan settings you would like to try next.

With respect to your E-Fan wiring question ...

Also attached is a photo of backside of the E67 J1/C1 (Blue) and J3/C3 (Grey) wiring harness connector covers. These are from an LSA wiring harness (what I happened to have on the workbench this morning) - but are the same as your GMPP E67 LS3 connectors. These simply "pop" off - with light pressure applied to both ends (a small screwdriver used cautiously will get this done).

You are correct - the GMPP (now Chevrolet Performance) instructions list the fan outputs as being routed to Fuse Bus 7D / Fuse Bus Pos 7D.

I would recommend checking the continuity of both the Low Fan output (C3 pin 49) with the Fuse Bus (should be a green wire), and the High Fan output (C1 pin 54) with the Fuse Bus (should be a blue wire).

Hope this helps ...

Cheers,
    Taz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E67 - C1 & C3 connector covers.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	17668  
    Last edited by Taz; November 17th, 2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: - typo

Good morning Taz
    Awesome, thanks!
    You wouldn't happen to have a schematic of the fan bus(es) or know the colors of the fan wires out of the bus (relay) to the fan(s).
    Thanks
    Eldon

As an quick update for anyone else looking at doing this. GM Performance splices the hi and lo fan to trigger a single relay in the power distribution.

Hi Taz
    I don't see the cal file attached to your posts.
    Could you please repost the latest ones with the fan settings per thread 26.
    Thanks
    Eldon

Lifetime Member

Hello Eldon,

You had made additional comments in this thread after I had posted the most recent tune - so my assumption was that you had downloaded it. I don't leave custom tunes on the Forum for very long anymore - every now and then someone will download a tune that they don't fully understand, an issue will present, and then they will go crying to EFILive for compensation.

Attached is the tune previously posted ...

Cheers,
    Taz

Hi Taz
    No worries.
    That is what I expected, my apologies for not downloading right away.
    I have downloaded this most recent tune.
    Thanks
    Eldon

Hi Taz
    Well the snow is finally gone so I have been able to tune and drive the car. While it is not 30C yet the fans seem to function great and cool the car nicely.
    Thank you
    Once I solve the P2135 code and the P0443 code (posted elsewhere) the customer should be able to enjoy his car.
    Thanks
    Eldon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234