Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Version 8 problem please help

Default Version 8 problem please help

Please help, I have upgraded my software and firmware to version 8.2.1 build 151
    I was successful in reading a 2011 chevy truck E78, but when I click on the edit or scan icons, I get a message that says this option is not available yet. What am I doing wrong?

Lifetime Member

V8 is only used for upgrading the bootblock/firmware of your FlashScan V2, programming standalone scan/read/flash, and reading/writing of controllers. No editing is available, use V7.5 Tune Tool for that still.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

You still have to use the V7 scantool (for viewing logs) and tunetool (for editing tunes).

Latest V7 is 7.5.6.157 be sure to use this.

Ha Erik, you're quick

When I try to use V7, I get a message that says V7 doesn't support this controller and that EFI Live V8 is the only software that supports this controller (E78). I checked the version that I am running and it is 7.5.6 Build 157

Lifetime Member

Read the tune from the ECM with V8 - save it and close V8. Then open the file with V7 - it will be a *.ctd file - you can use V7 to resave it as a *.tun file. Have looked at the 2011 E78 tunes in V7 - they appear to be a work in progress - tables do not appear to be complete yet.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Are you trying to read the ECM using V7.5? If so, you are correct. V7.5 does not support reading of some newer ECMs because it is a deprecated product and no new bootloaders are being written in the V7.5 format. Initially EFILive rewrote all the V7.5 bootloaders to work with V8 (and improve them, etc), but now that V8 is in development and reading/writing is publicly available, there isnt a reason to develop both bootloaders anymore, just for V8. But, as you noticed earlier, V8 doesnt have the Scan or Tune tools developed for it yet so V7.5 has the necessary parts to scan and edit tune files.

Open V7.5 Tune tool, then File->Open tuning file. Select the file you read out with V8 and click open. Edit away, resave the file as something else (dont want to save over the stock file), and make sure the file type is set to *.ctd so you can flash it using V8. Once you have made your changes and want to flash the new tune, simply double click the newly saved *.ctd file and V8 S&T will open. Click F8: Cal Flash, then click Go. It will prompt you to license your V2 to your ECM, follow those steps and you'll be set.

For the E78 there is never going to be a reason to save it as a *.tun file as V7.5 cannot read or write that controller. Leave all of the E78 files as *.ctd and read/write with V8, edit/scan with V7.5.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    For the E78 there is never going to be a reason to save it as a *.tun file as V7.5 cannot read or write that controller. Leave all of the E78 files as *.ctd and read/write with V8, edit/scan with V7.5.
    The purpose of the suggesting he save it as a *.tun file was to promote getting comfortable with both V8 and V7. Other than E39 and E78 controllers - the user can read and flash with V7, V8, or V2 - and user will need to know how to convert the file type to transition between BBR/BBF (V2) and using the V7 Tune Tool (Notebook computer).

Part of the current issue seems to be transitioning between V7 and V8 - the more you learn about both, the better you will enjoy the EFILive experience.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    The purpose of the suggesting he save it as a *.tun file was to promote getting comfortable with both V8 and V7. Other than E39 and E78 controllers - the user can read and flash with V7, V8, or V2 - and user will need to know how to convert the file type to transition between BBR/BBF (V2) and using the V7 Tune Tool (Notebook computer).

Part of the current issue seems to be transitioning between V7 and V8 - the more you learn about both, the better you will enjoy the EFILive experience.

Regards,
    Taz
    Gotcha, I was saying that since he is new to EFILive that adding a different format that he wont use will only confuse him because his Silverado uses the E78. Thats why I recommended staying with *.ctd, but good point about only the E39/E78s being subject by this.
    ~Erik~

EVI, we have an update coming shortly (hopefully next week) with some new tables for the E78 to help get them going better, essentially you will be able to control the requested torque & limiting these ECM's run from. Without control of them you will be fighting against the ECM trying to achieve the torque figures it wants.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast