Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turbo Cruze first thoughts

Default turbo Cruze first thoughts

So I've been waiting to get my hands on a turbo Cruze to "spank" it real good and see. The numbers don't look very promising and several techs have mentioned it's "slow as balls" but I'm just curious how much if any potential it has. I like the Ecotec and I feel it's well built and anything small with a turbo has at least some potential. And it's supported. The Cruze is not bad, it's solid and comfy and high tech. It's true about how slow it is though. So I went to the roof of the parking garage to do some launches and "burnouts" and this is what I found (wow big suprise I know). It's an automatic, and with TC on it will only stall to just over 1k and launch and accelerate pathetically slow. But with TC off, it stalls to 2500, and actually turns over the tires some and takes off with much more guts. You can almost even hear some boost. Almost. So there may be potential to turn a maybe 17-16 second car into a low 15 or high 14?? That would almost be respectable, plus it gets great mileage. Can't wait to pull a cal. on one. And the Sonic are all coming with that engine and all stickshift... just some thoughs.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Well, it is only a 1.4L after all.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Sounds like it needs slicks and a bigger turbo...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

LOL never underestimate "displacement" on a boosted engine. I used to have a 1.3 liter 80 cubic inch Rx-7... there was also a 1.3 liter 3 cyl. Suzuki Swift around here that had a little getup, but nothing like the 7s. Anyway I want to tune some Cruze!!

BTW do we have any special way of unlocking these ECMs with V8? As I was just typing we locked up our 1st one at the dealer! It got pissed off at the outdated equipment we have and now it starts and shuts right off and won't communicate they are going to warranty it so I wanted to play hero...

Nope this sucker's dead. I think it has a "half" a program now. I suppose I may be able to full flash it, but not going to waste a licennse, I'll just let the tech warranty the ECM and then try to do a little better job updating it. I think he used a failed MDI. Anyway all the lights on the dash go out when you try to start it, and I disconnected the battery and ECM connectors for 15 minutes, nothing. Dead. Wondering if I could communicate or unlock somehow with FS, V8?? Maybe try later.

Boost, TIS2WEB killed one of our E78's too, it's now a door stop, non recoverable. Good luck getting one!!
    If you need a Cruze .ctd file to try to recover with V8 then just read one from another car at work, but I think it will be dead. When ours died, TIS2WEB got all the way to the end of the flash, but after that the ECM was off in space. I think there must be a subtle difference between the 2500HD E78 programs and the Cruze program that cause this. The E78's we got were for the 2500HD (although they share the same part number).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Very interesting! I will be sure to post any developments, as of now our door stop and the Cruze attached to it is sitting in the middle of the shop. It's always a new challenge. Thanks for the reply!

I was shattered when our E78 got killed (it was brand new!). We got two of them for development, one for me and the other was supposed to go to New Zealand, in the end I now have a nice shiny paper weight in the shape of an E78. I can assure you, I will not be using TIS2WEB on one again given you've also just had one die too. Obviously there is a problem.
    We are down to one, I can't afford to loose that and be without an E78.

:( Hmm. Well, after talking to the tech on the phone and having him pull codes and perform various basic tests, GM is overnighting us a new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast