Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning questions..

Default Tuning questions..

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but kind of wanted some input before I try too much.

1. When changing the timing on the main injection, will this every get in the way of the pilot/post injection? Do I have to worry about adjusting them too when doing the main injection?

2. What's the best thing to do with the post/pilot injection? Will it hurt anything to put everything to 0 on them? Or just leave them as they are?

So far I've mostly messed with the rail pressure and main injection fuel quantity, and on my last little test I could already feel an improvement
    '06 2500 Cummins 4x4, Billet Trans, Airdog 150, working on tuning with EFI Live!

The ECM will ensure the injection events don't overlap. The thing to think about is the pilot injection is timed off the main injection, so if you move the main injection by 10 degrees, then the pilot start also moves 10 degrees.
    People tend to like to disable the post injection for fuel economy reasons, if you set the commanded rate to 0mm3 that is the best method (rather than zeroing the pulse table).
    I won't get in to the debate about pilot, some like it, others don't. The engine will have more of a Diesel rattle with no pilot. The idea behind the pilot injection is it will make the main pulse burn better.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ok thanks! And I figured some of that out a little better now already. I'll try disabling the pilot and see how I like it.
    '06 2500 Cummins 4x4, Billet Trans, Airdog 150, working on tuning with EFI Live!

Another question.. What is the cal-flash for? I just had the idea that that might work to flash tunes instead of always the full flash. Probably not though?

Lifetime Member

Cal flash is for GM tunes, I havent tuned a Cummins yet but it appears you must full flash them every time. So if all you are tuning are Cummins trucks (06-07 5.9 now, no idea about the 6.7 and older 5.9s) then Cal-Flash isnt important. Might be nice to have that option grayed out when a Cummins 06-07 5.9L file is loaded.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Erik is correct, on the Cummins there is no choice but to do a full reflash each time (Operating System and Calibrations), with GM computers it's possible to just reflash only the calibrations which saves time, but that is simply not possible on the Cummins ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks for the replies! I've learned a lot today and have plenty to learn yet! Lol main thing is using the logging I think.. no clue on that part yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

When changing the fuel pressures.. I noticed that under "Axis Define", a lot of the charts show 140 mm3 as the highest fuel pressure, while the "Fuel Pressure Base Table" shows 160 mm3 max stock. To up the fuel pressure do I have to modify a lot of the "Axis Define" charts too, or does it basically just go off the Fuel Pressure Base Table? Also, how do I know when I've hit the max safe fuel pressure?

I guess another question would be, do the "Axis Defined" tables always have to be modified too or how do they relate to the other tables?
    Last edited by 68showngo; June 4th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Can you list the table numbers to which your refering to?? So I can look at mine to help you...

Thanks
    Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

We just upped the base and air density adjust tables. You'll have to up the max parameter as well. We typically don't go higher than 180mpa.
    Dan's Diesel Performance
    www.dansdieselperformance.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast