Thread: What changes or adjustments are needed for early transmission swaps???

Default What changes or adjustments are needed for early transmission swaps???

I have'nt been able to find much info on swaps using early transmissions. Specifically what perameters need to be changed if your not using an electronicly controlled transmission??? Do I need to have some type of speed signal from the wheel or driveshaft??? I am not worried about Gauges as this would be for an older car.

I want to make sure the engine starts, runs, and functions properly with an earlier transmission. Any tips or maybe links to this info???

Lifetime Member

Hello 1FastBrick,

If you plan on running a non-computer controlled automatic transmission with a Gen III V8 - then a tune from a manual transmission vehicle is generally used. You need a VSS input to the PCM. This signal can be taken from the transmission, driveshaft, wheel - pretty much anywhere you want - then adjust the tune accordingly.

Unless you already have a high quality non-computer controlled transmission - from an ease of tuning / driveability / fuel economy perspective I wouldn't recommend using one. A 4L60E or 4L80E (for heavy duty use) are much more user friendly and just about infinitely configurable - including the option of two different shift patterns - one for cruising / daily use, and another for the track / spirited driving.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; June 12th, 2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: - typo

Thanks for the Info Taz. What are most people useing for a sensor and ring to get a VSS signal??? Are there kits availble for this type of conversion