Thread: now something wrong with the tranny?

Default now something wrong with the tranny?

well just when i was having fun, the tranny wants to act up. logged this and wonder if someone could give me some insight on just what might be the issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JOHNGEAR; June 9th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

well took it out and tore it apart to find the third gear clutch packs are toast. This may explain why it would not hold 3rd and maybe why the TCC would not lock.What was happening was when it went into 3rd it would act like it had a 5000 stall converter. sure i had 3rd but only if i brought the rpms up as you can follow in the log. i did not know that the TCC wont engage if it slips too much in the current gear.

Hi John,

Do you have a pic of the 3/4 clutch pack disassembled (so we can look at the frictions/steels)...?

When did it start happening...?
    Did you get any DTC's...?

I will have pics for you when I return home for the weekend. It is still apart on my bench ready for clean up(and pics). Did not get any DTC's and what happened was I went to pass on the high way (about 110klms kicked down to 2nd then it went to 3rd when it held there till 4700rpm-145klms)when it seemed like it shifted into N. Released the throttle and tried to get it to catch 3rd but would not untill the rpms dropped to 1500. All else worked fine but when I tested it again, same results. Was about 400klms from home and drove it cautiously. When I got to town was stuck in traffic and only needed 2nd so I was not worried. I tested it with the log hooked up and that is what you see. Tore it apart and yes the 3-4 clutch pac was toast. Black dust in the fluid and thrown against the inside housing. Clutch pac is showing material missing as though the bonding failed and the steels are not burnt, but will really see when I clean them up.

Here are the pics. Hope this upload works.

I think my rebuilder forgot a few springs...

:( Lots of destroyed parts there. Sucks I know from personal experience, I feel for you.

Mr. P.
    2003 Silverado SS, with Novi-1500 "CAI mod"
    EFILive V 7.5 COS-3 (OLSD, for now!)

I can tell you that 4L60's do not like boost in 3rd or 4th, as shown with destroyed 3-4 clutch pack
    Looks like it's time to upgrade to a 4L80E.
    Talking from experience, this will keep happenening if you stick with the 4L60E.
    Just my $.02!
    Builder did not forget some springs, some of the 4L60E's came like that from the factory!!!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

I'm surprized the steels didn't get burnt/glazed from slipping.

I see some steels caked with powder from the friction material... did the friction material just disintegrate...?

What is the history of your 3/4 clutch pack (where did it originate from)...?

I see signs of sealant on the pan rail...

I would avoid sealant as it gets into the filter and other places (like the VB).