Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing VIN, Make, and Model

Default Changing VIN, Make, and Model

I'm about to pull the trigger on a GM V8 swap in a '98 Jeep TJ. The only part that still concerns me is the chance an attendant at the emissions testing will fail it as soon as they see a mismatched VIN and "Cadillac Escalade" on their terminal.

From what I've gathered, EFILive can modify the VIN. Can it also modify the make and model? If so, does that include custom data or is it limited to a set of GM choices?

The EFILive scantool has the ability to write the VIN into the PCM.

Edit: from scantool, connect to vehicle, do BiDirectional->Change VIN.
    Last edited by joecar; June 24th, 2011 at 04:14 AM.

OK, thanks. How about the make and model of the vehicle?

Lifetime Member

Hello Gruneun,

I would recommend you research the engine conversion emissions compliance regulations in your local area.

In my area, the replacement engine cannot be older than the vehicle (a newer engine is OK). If the vehicle was originally equipped with an EGR / PCV / EVAP / Catalytic Convertor, etc. - these devices must be maintained - and again these devices may be newer (but not older) than the vehicle.

After this is the initial visual inspection, a "tailpipe" test on a chassis dyno follows. Here, the vehicle could be tested as a 1998 Jeep TJ or as the model the engine came from (i.e. 2004 Cadillac Escalade) - depending on the "decision" of the governing body.

The above is obviously intended as an example - emissions compliance may vary greatly by area.

Regards,
    Taz

Ugh, if you had any idea of how many people I've called and visited...

This would be a much newer '07 engine in a '98 chassis and I would be using all of the emissions equipment that is required for the '07. The Jeep TJ uses OBD-II and, in Maryland, there's no visual test or tailpipe test, except for older vehicles without OBD (though, many of the stations no longer have a working dyno and just pass the vehicle). The EPA certifies engine/chassis configurations that were originally available from the vehicle manufacturers. At a federal level, it isn't illegal to alter that configuration, so long as there is an expectation that emissions will not be adversely affected (likely, the source of the popular adage that swapping a newer engine is safe). Emissions inspectors have told me that they follow that logic, while a VEIP administration official took a hard stance that they only approve the EPA-certified configurations.

I won't get off on a rant, but I honestly wish we had the option of requesting an actual tailpipe test. Instead, it's evolved into "Your computer says this..." instead of "Your emissions are this..."

All that aside, I have heard of people failing with replacement engines of the same type, simply because the VIN on the attendant's terminal no longer matches the one on the dash. I'm not trying to skirt emissions or use illicit equipment, just "lubricate" the inspection process by making sure it says "1998 Jeep Wrangler" and my original VIN.

Lifetime Member

OK ... really glad to hear you have looked into it prior to the engine conversion ... many don't and end up spending thousands after the fact to bring the vehicle into compliance ... when proper planning would have made costs nearly neutral.

The VIN is "resident" in the PCM / ECM / TCM. Once you have completed your conversion, have the vehicle "up & running", use the Tune Tool to update the VIN to that which is proper for the vehicle. In the Tune Tool, go to the "Flash" menu at the top of the screen .... select "PCM security" ... the third tab over is "VIN / BCC" ... enter the "Current" (Escalade) VIN, followed by the "New" (proper for vehicle) VIN. You will need to adjust the VIN in both the ECM and TCM.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Gruneun View Post
    OK, thanks. How about the make and model of the vehicle?
    Make/Model are not stored in the PCM, they are derived from the VIN.

Lifetime Member

You can put your Jeep VIN in the PCM just fine, be warned when you go to use the Scan tool you will not have any enhanced or DMA PIDs because these are model specific and become active when you connect to a GM vehicle. With a Jeep VIN, EFILive will think the PCM/ECM is not a GM one and therefore not load the PIDs.

Long story short, get it running 100% using whatever VIN it comes with then change the VIN once you're done tuning.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

+1 do this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post

Long story short, get it running 100% using whatever VIN it comes with then change the VIN once you're done tuning.
    Additionally:
    to view the correct VIN-triggered pids, the scantool allows you to enter a volatile viewing-only VIN [i.e. not stored in the PCM] (see File->Enter VIN).

Awesome! Thanks, all. You guys have really put my mind at ease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast