Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch fan removal way to disable ses light?

Default Clutch fan removal way to disable ses light?

Is there a way to remove the clutch fan and not have it throw codes? My dad has an 03 Bravada and it has went through 2 of the really expensive clutches, he dont care about performance, just wants it to run with out a check engine light or a REP light. I removed the electric clutch fan and replaced it with a standard clutch and fan from a 2500 HD truck. theres no more REP light, but a SES light for the fan. is ther a way to just turn it off so he can keep running the $25 bone yard fan and not pay out the rear for a 3rd clutch? I read something about a patched file, I am not sure if just disabling the codes will work or not.

Lifetime Member

Yes, you can remove it. Open the tune file and go to the System area. Under platform options there is an Electric Fan cell, believe its a yes/no or enabled/disabled. Change it to disabled/no and flash. You'll have a few DTCs to kill, go ahead and do those. Honestly not sure if using the standard fan clutch setup is the right way to do it, but it might work.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I will try that tonight, I already put the standard fan on and it cools it just fine, I am not sure I want to go through the trouble of adding E fans.

Lifetime Member

I know, that Electric Fans parameter is a little deceiving. It doesnt add the ability to control efans, just disables the PCMs fan clutch check routine. I can honestly say Ive never heard of a fullsize fan clutch being fitted to a TrailBlazer, and Ive researched a lot about them over the last 6 years. Enabling that param should kill the light, I think you have a P1481 right now?
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

I have a P1481 code adn thers not a spot to disable it. I have the electric fan option set to disable. it was already set that way

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by s10mods View Post
    I have a P1481 code adn thers not a spot to disable it. I have the electric fan option set to disable. it was already set that way
    You need to ENABLE it.
    With efans = ENABLE
    Without efans = DISABLED

Theres no DTC code for that, enabling the electric fan option will bypass the diagnostic routine and therefore not throw the code.
    ~Erik~

I have this same problem:

I enabled the Efan option
    I disabled all MIL reporting for anything to do with the cooling fan.
    I set all the fan controls to 0

I am still getting the P1481 error code. Either there is a table I am missing or is there something else I need to do?
    The truck is a 2003 trailblazer.

Set the fan turn-on control to max temp (i.e. so fan is never commanded on).

I'll try that tonight

Thanks!
    2003 trailblazer LTZ - 269000 miles and counting. . .

I turned both the low and high speed engagement temps to the maximum allowed. The P1481 error code came back in about 5 seconds or so.

It seems as thought the ECU is looking for the fan, not seeing it, and throwing the code.

When I previously said I set the fan controls to 0, I meant that I set the four Fan Command % tables to 0.
    2003 trailblazer LTZ - 269000 miles and counting. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast