Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PCM and BCM Swap possibility???

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldbergv95 View Post
    Didm't you say the fuel change is stored in the PCM? Regardless, I have to reflash the bcm if I change to the 03 vin or else i would get electric problems. But something still bugs me. Even if I changed the Vin is there a way also change the OS based on the 2003 tbs? Or will I have to get a flash from the dealer.

BTW, I would do a 05 swap but 05s have air bag and other features that 02s and 03s dont have which might fail the state inspection. Plus I saw an additional wire that is connected to a connector located on the exhaust manifold that 02s and 03 dont have.
    I assume its in the PCM, but you'd have to figure out where the IPC get the fuel sender signal from.

No, you dont have to flash the BCM if you change the PCM OS, who told you that? Just because you're running an 05 OS doesnt mean you cant put your 02 VIN in...

The airbags and everything dont tie into the PCM...thats not an issue. The 04+s have the AIR injection system on the exhaust manifold so you just have to turn that off in the tune.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    No, you dont have to flash the BCM if you change the PCM OS, who told you that? Just because you're running an 05 OS doesnt mean you cant put your 02 VIN in...
    Well at least it was not you lol. No really, I thought that was the case from experience. But didnt we had this discussion when I wanted to switch to an 06 ecm with engine wiring, i maybe i was wrong but didnt you think that it might affect the bcm not beable to communitcate efficently? Im a little scared to do the 05 swap unless I do the engine wiring at the same time then I might do it. But for the time being Ill try the 03 first. Then when I have time i might do 06 or possibly 09 swap.

So the only way to change the vin and the os is through the dealer or can i do it?
    2002 4.2L I6 Trailblazer LTZ

Lifetime Member

Ive looked through the pinouts, Im 98% sure the only wiring difference between 02 and 05 are in regards to the AIR system.

To do an 06 swap is just a matter of buying the P12 connectors and pins and wiring it up plus a little tuning, 08-09 E67s means dropping the engine and swapping the crank out.

You can do it with HPT, EFILive doesnt have the full flash P10 capability. Find the latest 05 OS in hpt format, full flash it, then read it out in EFILive and copy your existing tune over.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Doesn't the 05 os have better throttle mapping? If it does I have never seen a differance in any table we have in either HPT or EFILive. I wanted to put an 05 os in to see if it responed better, maybe I will do it now.

Ive looked through the pinouts, Im 98% sure the only wiring difference between 02 and 05 are in regards to the AIR system.

To do an 06 swap is just a matter of buying the P12 connectors and pins and wiring it up plus a little tuning, 08-09 E67s means dropping the engine and swapping the crank out.

You can do it with HPT, EFILive doesnt have the full flash P10 capability. Find the latest 05 OS in hpt format, full flash it, then read it out in EFILive and copy your existing tune over.
    So if I did the 05 OS flash, will I get the features that 05 is suppose to get or will I still have the 02 features besides the secondary air injection wire?

Whats the benefit of an 05 rather than just the tune updates?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldbergv95 View Post
    So if I did the 05 OS flash, will I get the features that 05 is suppose to get or will I still have the 02 features besides the secondary air injection wire?

Whats the benefit of an 05 rather than just the tune updates?
    What do you mean by "features"? You will have whatever an 05 has, fuel tank calibration, fan clutch params, spark tables, etc.

As Jedi_jr said, there are supposed to be driveability improvements made between 02 and 05 that might make a difference.
    ~Erik~

What do you mean by "features"? You will have whatever an 05 has, fuel tank calibration, fan clutch params, spark tables, etc.

As Jedi_jr said, there are supposed to be driveability improvements made between 02 and 05 that might make a difference.
    I mean for the features are the RPOs that comes with an 05. For instance an 03 to 09 has a RPC code called NNK = Extended Fuel Capacity.

I was looking at the difference in wire harness and 04s-06 have the same wires.
    http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...02&grouptype=B

Hate to say it, but why not just use the other software and full flash an 03+ OS into it? If its really in the PCM, that will do it. If not, then change your VIN to an 03 one and have a dealer flash the BCM. Once they flash you'll have to use that VIN otherwise I dont believe the VATS will let the engine start.
    So, Eric, if an '05 engine and PCM are swapped into an '04, how come it does not start with the '05 PCM, but starts and runs bad with the '04 PCM? Is it because the BCM needs to be programmed? I am going to try to correct the VIN in the new PCM to see if that helps.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Lifetime Member

Did you perform the security relearn to link the PCM and BCM?

It should run just fine with the 04 PCM, GM didnt change much between 02-05, 06-07, and 08-09. Change the VIN, but that shouldnt really make much of a difference.
    ~Erik~

Did you perform the security relearn to link the PCM and BCM?

It should run just fine with the 04 PCM, GM didnt change much between 02-05, 06-07, and 08-09. Change the VIN, but that shouldnt really make much of a difference.
    Thanks, does the security relearn to link the PCM and BCM need to be done with a Tech2, or is this possible with my V2 FS?

Since the PCM is from another vehicle, I assume the new PCM needed to be programmed before this security relearn link is attempted?

Worst case scenario, if the new PCM was programmed to the correct VIN and OS, and the security re-learn for the BCM is performed, but it still does not start with the new PCM and starts but runs bad with the old PCM (which appears to be failed - Reduced Power Mode, and the "mechanic" thinks it blew the first engine - what else can I check?

Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself, we'll cross that bridge when I have a look at it this afternoon. Thanks for your advice Erik, I always go to you for TB stuff
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast