Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: light throttle surge.

Lifetime Member

excellant glad to hear it mate happy to help out. I unfortunately get involved in very similar circumstances you found yourself in and having to "fix" the sub standard tuning efforts.
    Many people "think" that going to the big name tuners in the large centers here in NZ that you will get a quality job. This is not always the case at all. Idle issues, cold start and general drivibility problems are common place and cannot be sorted with a 3hr "dyno tune", a few power runs and a "she'll be right mate, that'll be $1000.00 thanks" ! A cammed engine MUST be driven extensively by the tuner, issues identified and fixed AND dyno tuning carried out before the vehicle is released to the owner.
    One should be instantly suspicious of a prospective tuner of a cammed LSx engine who promises it back at the end of the day with perfect results, big power figures and rediculous MPG.
    In my many years of tuning engines it doesn't matter how much extra "power" the customer gets its ALWAYS the drivibility issues that brings them back with complaints so it pays to get this bit right first time

Cheers,
    Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

After reverse engineering my "full custom cam tune", I worked out that the previous tuner just grabbed the stock tune from the HSV model of my car and raised idle rpm to 900 because the 224/230 cam was too agressive?!?, tweaked VE table, highlighted the entire HO spark table to smooth it and set WOT spark bins on the dyno, raised the rev limiter to 6600, then disabled BTM - full custom tune, he had the car for 4 days.....

IAT correction wasn't done, cold start correction wasn't done, throttle cracker was stock (man it bucked like crazy down low), idle spark over/underspeed correction was stock hence why idle speed was raised to 900 as a bandaid and is now back to 800 when hot and very smooth/stable. These are just to name a few things that I spent alot of time getting right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12