Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips & Tricks: Things you've learned while exploring EFI Live on the Cummins

Default Tips & Tricks: Things you've learned while exploring EFI Live on the Cummins

Folks,

Had an idea that may help folks as they learn to use this on the Cummins, as most of us have never had the flexibility offered by EFI.

These are some of the things I've learned so far that may help the next person that is exploring options and writing their own tunes.

1 - Save your OEM tune before you do ANYTHING else. Make copies, make several copies on different media. If you ever screw up, you'll have it to fall back on.

2 - LOG, LOG, LOG! Before making any changes, log what the truck is currently doing. This may take a week, this may take a month, but DO IT! It's like having gauges in the truck....you need to know what's going on first.

3 - When you decide you are ready to start making changes, MAKE ONE AT A TIME! It's too much of a PITA to figure out what's going on when you make multiple changes at one time. Modify, save, load, LOG! Repeat.

4 - The VERY FIRST things you want to modify are the parameters, NOT the maps and graphs. If you plan on running 4200 RPM's, modify all your parameters to reflect. If you plan to run 26K psi, modify the parameters to reflect. This will help you further down the road so that your tables line up with your intended changes. Save this file with NO OTHER modifications; this will let you use it as a base for other tunes without going back in an modifying the parameters again.

5 - Get to know the values. Understand what relation MPa is to PSI and how many microseconds of duration you really have available at a given RPM.

6 - BE CONSERVATIVE! It's like baseball....a home run is awesome, but base hits add up. Swinging for the fence often puts you on the bench.

7 - Put a sticky note right under you computer screen. On this sticky note, put the monetary value of your engine and transmission. This will help you keep things in perspective when you think, "Maybe just a little more."

Please feel free to add any tips, tricks and / or advice for the next guy.

Last edited by DoghouseDiesel; June 27th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Great thread idea, thanks. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun tuning.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Great thread idea, thanks. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun tuning.
    It is SO nice to finally be able to see what's going on.

We've asked for it for years. Obviously not just from EFI, but from the other manufacturers as well and no one would say, "Hey, this is how much timing we're adding" or "We cap the rail pressure at XXX".

It's all basic stuff that anyone tuning NEEDS; it's not a secret.

When you're dealing with $30k+ motors, both your own and customers, no one wants to guess. That's not a good way to "tune".

Now it's time to see what we can really squeeze out of it.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Okay, I posted this in it's own thread, but here's how to set up your own 2-step for launches at the track.

This allows you to set a specific RPM that makes the boost you want to launch with. You just have to figure out what that RPM is.

All you have to do is apply the brake, mat the accelerator pedal, RPM's will stop at the designated point (so long as your converter doesn't stall at a lower RPM) and you should hit your target boost pressure.

As soon as you release the brake, the engine goes wide open, just like coming off a trans brake.

Here is the setting you need to adjust.....

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Thanks again for another great post i love step #7 lol your helping me (as well as many others im assuming) a lot and look forward to any more info you can share with us

Here's another for ya....

The question was brought up about turning off the post injection event.

What most people are seeing is a loss in HP when you do this.

Here's why....

Above 2800 RPM's the ECM reduces the total number of degrees past TDC that the main injection event can last. You go from 22* past TDC down to 14* at 4200 RPM's.

This is table C7001, Injection Shutoff vs RPM. It's under the Main Injection tab.

Bring these up and you can kill the post injection event and stretch the main injection event.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

Rich, nice work man!
    2007 5.9 QC 48RE 4x4

Nice work on the post injection info!

Quote Originally Posted by DoghouseDiesel View Post

Here's why....

Above 2800 RPM's the ECM reduces the total number of degrees past TDC that the main injection event can last. You go from 22* past TDC down to 14* at 4200 RPM's.

This is table C7001, Injection Shutoff vs RPM. It's under the Main Injection tab.

Bring these up and you can kill the post injection event and stretch the main injection event.
    Doghouse,

Have you verified that changing this table allows a longer pulsewidth? My tests back to back on this table show no difference in main pulse allowance or overall main injection fuel delivery. Also, changing only the values in this table gave me a no-start condition. I'm curious to hear your results if they differ from mine.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DoghouseDiesel View Post

Here's why....

-------------------------------------

Make sure this is verified, because i brought all mine up and caused the truck once it surpassed 30mm3 to buck and not go. Now it has been ok to bring the bottom back up to 22 and not have anything cause the truck to act crazy, but from my logging experience it did not change the limited injection event... maybe i should try another OS but currently it made no difference.
    Great writeup... i will see if i can't add a little to help the newbies also
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast