Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calc.VET question

Default Calc.VET question

I'm trying the calc.VET tutorial w/ OS 12212156. I'm not getting very far. The scanner is erroring out right from the start. I don't understand the error, but I think the setup is missing something. I'm not sure what I'm doing, so I'm getting lost fairly quickly.

I have a few Q's:
    This OS does not support the GM.EQUIVRATIO PID. Do I really need it? I'm not seeing it used in the calc_pids.txt. (The tutorial say's, I need it.)

Do I need to write a substitute calculation for it (because I don't have that PID)?
    Somthing like EqRatio= Commanded_Stoch/WB_Lamda? or EqRatio= GM.AFR/WB_Lamda? or EqRatio= 14.7/WB_Lamda?

Is there some other work around for the lack of a GM.EQUIVRATIO PID?

Does displacement() read the # from the "log file info" screen?
    Are there other funtions that will grab these #'s? Something like: vin(), or diffRatio()

I'm thinking of doing something like:
    *CLC-00-222 #displacement selection in cc
    factor 2600 5700 .4 "iff({GM.ENGSIZE_DMA = 0}, {5328}, {iff({GM>ENGSIZE_DMA = 1},{5669},{0}))"

Thanks

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Dry:

That OS supports GM. EQIVRATIO, usually found under the Fuel Tab.

As always make sure you are using the latest Software/Firmware Updates. Sometimes you have to go out to the vehicle, turn the ignition key to on, and then 'Validate' your Pids.

If the problem exists, we may have to submit a request for support. You should not have to do what you are proposing..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

GM.EQIVRATIO:

(spelled without U)

GM.EQIVRATIO is supported by 12212156, look at the PIDs tab again...
    uncheck Supported, then click on the Caption column heading to sort alphabetically on that column, scroll down it is there;

what VIN does the scantool display on the status bar at the bottom...?

displacement():

the Calc.VET tutorial says this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Calc.VET Tutorial
    A. Set Displacement: open a Log File, go Edit->Log File Information->Vehicle Options, and next to Engine enter the displacement in cc, click Ok, and save the log file. This matters only if you're planning to use [%] units for VE.

What year/model/vehicle...?

Once I did the Scanner->Info->ValidatePIDs, now I have the GM.EQUIVRATIO.
    (My mistake. I thought connecting to the PCM would be enough.)

The "displacement" questions,...
    I was trying to come up w/ a way of having the PCM tell the CALC what the displacement is. i.e. Maybe use another PID or the VIN.

Thanks

If you are only tuning your car, replace displacement with engine size in Liters (e.g. 5.669).

Displacment was added as a convenience to tuners utilizing multiple engine sizes. Inputting engine size into the formula is probably the easiest way..
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Thanks, I had changed the CALC to use the engine size in cc's. i.e. The log info used cc's.
    I will switch it to Liters.

I'm finding that I have to enter the engine size info every time I create a log file. If I open an existing log file and set/save it, the next time I open it, it is blank again. I find this to be a hassle. The PCM knows the engine size. If possible, I'd like to make things easier. Any idea if the GM.ENGSIZE_DMA enumerations change from OS to OS? (Or is there one master list?) i.e Does 0= 5.3L, always?

If you use [g*K/kPa] for VE units then you don't need displacement at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FeetDry View Post
    I'm finding that I have to enter the engine size info every time I create a log file. If I open an existing log file and set/save it, the next time I open it, it is blank again. I find this to be a hassle.
    See I have not found that to be the case if you actually log. Have you found that to be the case when you actually log?

You can make this harder than need be. For example: "{SAE.MAF.gps}*({GM.DYNAIRTMP_DMA.C}+273.15)/({SAE.RPM}*{SAE.MAP.kPa})*3445.2/displacement()"

Just put 4.294 in for displacement, or better yet use the default units..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; June 29th, 2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: engine size..

My idea of using GM.ENGSIZE_DMA doesn't appear to work. It may be emumerated by GM, but it appears to be interpreted by EFIlive. This PID reports to "unknown". My 4.3L is not in the "size" list. It doesn' tell me what the actual number is. If the number is known (in a list somewhere) the PID will display 5.3, or 4.8,.. Rather than a 0, or 1, or 2,....

Shawn,
    I have not logged w/ the engine size info populated. It is grayed out before I can start the log. And I could not set it after the log was done. So I thought the zero (unset size info) was causing a divide-by-zero error. i.e. I thought this was the cause of my earlier log-crash error. It is no longer crashing, so I can't dup the failure.

Joe,
    I need to understand this better, to understand your comment. I think I understand what you are saying. I need to look at the details a bit more.

Lifetime Member

Hello FeetDry,

I have used the CALC VET technique with the VE units as g*K/kPa, and in percent (%). If using percent, when you open the log for the first time, you will need to input engine displacement, resave, and close the file. When you reopen it the second time, the VE data (%) should be displayed.

Vehicle information is entered under the "Edit" menu ... "Log file information" .... "Vehicle options" ....

Just checked using a 2002 truck VIN, the 4.3 L engine (4294 CC) is in the drop down menu. If your are not seeing this with your VIN (which I believe was originally linked to a Black Box Vortec PCM), try temporarily using a 2001 or later S10 VIN.

Regards,
    Taz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast