Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I boost fool with EFI Live

Light bulb just went..ding! Thanks, Kory
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

everyone has a lightbulb, but in the dark sometimes its a little hard to find the switch! glad i can help
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Utilizing the fuel quantity table that uses boost for reference, this would probably be case in point for rescaling the map sensor for bigger turbos? My logic is if you get the map sensor to read as close to actual boost pressure, then your fuel quantity table to boost should be correct? I just have a hard time getting past the map sensor's capabilities though. If it isn't capable of say 50 psi boost (64.7psi total including BARO) calling for the need to rescale it, how accurate can it be then?

Andrew
    06 LBZ, EFILive

i think factory calibrations seems to be maxxed out of fuel for boost limiting after that certain point. I know running bigger chargers on the dmaxes we havent had to rescale it to keep the fueling. Some guys would rescale it, but i have not seen it to be a necessity, possibly someone could correct me if im wrong because i have not had the opportunity to tune a big charger cummins yet.
    -Kory

Don't take offense if it sounds like I am questioning you, just trying to learn from a theory standpoint.

From what I gather, rescaling is not neccessary. But how is that if you have a fuel map depending on it? Is it the boost fuel maps aren't has important as other fuel maps?
    06 LBZ, EFILive

No offense taken, questions is how your learn. Here is what i gather, and i could be wrong, but it has proven itself on the dmax. What you see in efilive is not necessarily everything that is there. For instance, a twinned turbo duramax may only show up to 37lbs of boost on a log because that is where the sensor maxes out, but observing your boost gauge you can see that you hit say 42lbs of boost. Reason being is the fact that there is no limiting from the factory in some calibrations up to a certain point. Where in this table it is only going up to 223.5kpa but at 145mm3 of fuel from the factory... so yeah possibly we only see 223.5kpa at 143, but the factory calibration (which we cant see with efilive past 223.5) may go up to 345, or 445 ect ect. But seeing it at maxed out fuel of 145mm3 all the way up to 223.5, we can assume, unless you hit a boost limiter, that this table will be 145mm3 throught the boost range. Hope this makes a little sense...im not the best at explanations and since there really is no guide it is all gathered from personal experience and logging, some guys may have had success in another manner. One thing about tuning is there are so so sooo many ways to skin the cat!

One thing that would be cool would be to make a map for boost pressure vs volts to find out what boost you are running exactly at what volt. This would give you a good indication of where rescaling could come in handy for you specifically. And match that table to the fuel limiting via boost table. Again, i have not had the need to do this, but it would be cool.
    Last edited by Dmaxink; July 6th, 2011 at 02:23 AM.
    -Kory

That helped A LOT! I see what your saying. Basically log at what voltage boost to volts in the sensors range, say 10psi 2.5 volts 20 psi 3 volts 30 psi 3.5 volts etc... Using a logic pattern (estimating where factory scale drops off using logged data) Create a map rescaling the sensor continuing the linear pattern past factory scaling 40psi 4 volts, 50 psi 4.5-5volts and use the table to modify fuel to boost. Does sounds cool, but also sounds like may be not worth the trouble if it isn't necessarily needed if the ***EDIT*** factory calibration continues anyway. Then all you would need to focus on would be the meat and potatoes of the fuel tables. But I can see how that would definitely help smoke down low.
    Last edited by FUBAR; July 6th, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Yep! I re-read what i wrote and said man i can hardly understand what im typing so i hope he does!

EDIT: Guys remember, just because you don't see it in efilive, does not mean it is there...just because you make a change in the calibration, does not mean there is another soft/hard limiter that will not kick in. The best way is to have a goal, set your tune file to achieve that goal..if it does not achieve what your trying to, start looking back at what you changed, or have not changed yet..simply change 1 thing at a time and think logically.

nice job catching on andrew, really looks like your going to have a well dialed truck
    Last edited by Dmaxink; July 6th, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
    -Kory

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    no the smoke in your tune is coming from you asking for full fueling before you even have 1 pound of boost built. Understand the changes you are making fully before you make them, trust me it will save you time in the long run... yes your tune is ramping up the fuel, but it is already at 180mm3 at 6.8kpa (which is under 1psi of boost). Understand, you can ramp up the fuel all you want to mm3-wise, but after 145mm3, the truck is considered to be WOT. This is one of the main tables responisble for your heavy smoke thurmon.

-Kory Willis
    Thanks Kory great write up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123