Thread: question about CALC.VET

Default question about CALC.VET

1. what is CALC.VET ?

2. what is calc_pids.txt , I can download it so how do you access it?

3. this does not follow: Select the following CALC.VET pids and record a suitable log.
    from the TAB PIDs the drop down System does not include Tuning.

sorry for the idiot questions.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acric5 View Post
    1. what is CALC.VET ?

Its is a Tuning method that utilizes the MAF Airflow in combination with Fuel Trims and/or AFR/EQ readings..and computes a representative VE Table.

An unique computer 'text' that an user can calculate specialized and unique calculations. Copy that calc_pids.txt file to this location, or copy/paste its contents to the file at this location on your PC: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt

3. this does not follow: Select the following CALC.VET pids and record a suitable log.

2. Select the following CALC.VET pids and record a suitable log. From the TAB Pids select the drop down System Tuning.

I am not sure I am following most of your questions. How long have you had EFILive? Have you done any Tuning yet? What are you trying to tune?

The CALC.VET thread is fairly lengthy, but I can assure you every question you have asked has been throughly discussed. Is it just a basic understanding of the method that is throwing you, or all the computer work you have to do?

Give us a better background of your tuning project, any tunes or logs you have already done, etc. The more information you give us, the more we can try to help.

Thanks.
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Also, read especially Post #39-70 in this thread: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....l=1#post137906

The user had the same exact problem..

Also read this: http:///download.efilive.com/Documentation/EFILiveV75Scan.pdf

Read pages 90-95. Its a technical read, but may help.
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Quote Originally Posted by acric5 View Post
    1. what is CALC.VET ?

1. and 2. see the Calc.VET tutorial post #1 and the Summary Notes.

You will see "Tuning" in the dropdown after you place the calc_pids.txt file from the Calc.VET tutorial into the correct folder on your PC.

Yes, do what Shawn said, read the scantool user manual pdf, and also the tunetool user manual pdf, they contain very useful info.

No problem... not everything is apparent.

thanks for being gentle with me here.

there is more than just an oil change in this car:

the car is
    2002 c5 A4 2.73, 1-2 6 pinion gear set
    100mm MAF,
    95mm throttle body,
    LS7-441ci
    1900tvs blower @ 3:1,
    not inter-cooled
    intake manifold - 3 inch runners.
    Methanol injection,
    245 heads
    LS9 cam,
    headers and 3" center, TI stock muffler
    cats installed
    Autometer AFR installed
    15 volt inverter for fuel pump
    walbro fuel pump.

No codes reported.
    the concern is that in wot after 575ft-lbs of reported engine torque the car goes way lean, this happens at any rpm. but not all the time.
    the autometer logs 18.xx and the gauge shows 15.xx, at wot the log goes into the 10s which is consistent with the gauge.
    I used PLX for the autometer and changed the calc to 0-4 volts and 10-20 fuel ratio which is what the manufacture suggests. (? linear relationship)

The fuel pressure seems to be adequate in closed loop pressure at 58psi , drops to a steady 53psi thereafter.

perhaps I need to scrap the autometer and get something that is compatible?

Ive got 2 logs here that are the same tune but the results at WOT are way different.
    in the second log I added the Calc.vet PIDs selection, I think?

further details about the car are here Some of my projects
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, thats a nice set-up Bill.

First things first. You must keep your Pid Channels to 24 or less, or your Scan Tool will drastically slow down.

I do not see any of the CALC. VET Pids in your logs. Can you post up your current calc_pids.txt file.

I can't really comment yet on your reported leanness. Is your wideband Serial or Analog? As you indicated fuel pressure is extremely important. I'm no expert on that, but I thought you wanted to maintain 58 psi throughout...

No offense, but I really think you need to re-read the CALC.VET thread & Tutorial: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....tire-VE-Table.

I don't mind helping out every single CALC.VET user, but I can tell you have not followed it yet..

Thanks.