Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tunring Pilot off completely ??

Alright, so I zeroed out all the Pilot quantity tables, advanced the Main Cranking 0-900 rpm 60-100*F table, advanced the main timing table around idle part to about 25* and smoothed the transition a little, and increased main duration a bit down low. Truck started fine, idled fine. Rolling on the throttle or stabbing it while cruising at a idle (I.e. 30 mph or so) runs just fine. BUT, if pulling out from an idle, and I stab it, it spits,sputters and smokes. Just throwing this out there, any ideas appreciated too...just gotta find time to tinker and have fun. EDIT***http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...7/f691fc86.mp4
    Last edited by FUBAR; July 14th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Guys, is the goal of eliminating the pilot injection to eliminate a tuning variable or something ?

I would think the smoother pressure rise with pilot injection use would be beneficial to bottom end and headgasket life, no?

I've gotten it to where it starts, idles and can hammer it with no problem. Just a small puff of white smoke if I rev the piss out of it in neutral.

Other than the pure fun factor of it being able to demonstrate full command of the engine and such I believe is being able to increase the Main Injection due to lost Pilot and create a bigger more powerful explosion. I see views on both sides of the fence as well though. Definitely worth debating for sure I believe.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Fubar is right! Ive used his and my ideas and it runs fine! Ive had several guys ask me what i did to this truck .... I just laugh! Tell'm it has a old 2ng in it lol... Love the look on there faces. Then i explain.

So anyway it does work and it is an option. Just takes close attention to TIMING. Thats the big key on this one.
    06 2500 SLT 4x4 , G56, 105,000 miles, 2nd exhaust manifold, 2nd gen air intake horn, SBC 3600 DD, I. I. 90HP Sticks, straight pipe, manual high idle mod, custom air intake , and pretty much everything else engine wise is stock... LEARNING EFI LIVE

Quote Originally Posted by icem237 View Post
    Just takes close attention to TIMING. Thats the big key on this one.
    True dat. lol
    06 LBZ, EFILive

I "Should" have dyno time this friday...if I can get on I will be doing some testing with pilot off vs pilot on...post off vs post on etc...

~Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Any luck? I've got the truck to run right with no Pilot and no post, but I haven't been home in a week to flash truck to start adding power to it to see if I can compensate and gain something more than just sound out of the single injection event.

From another guy I've been talking to, he said he definitely got a kick in the pants down low out of it, but he's trying to control his egt's.

-Andrew
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    Any luck? I've got the truck to run right with no Pilot and no post, but I haven't been home in a week to flash truck to start adding power to it to see if I can compensate and gain something more than just sound out of the single injection event.

From another guy I've been talking to, he said he definitely got a kick in the pants down low out of it, but he's trying to control his egt's.

-Andrew
    No luck...I spent 5hrs in the dyne with a 24v sled puller and 4 hours with a SRT-4 Neon...by the time we were done it was 2:30am.

One of these days I will actually schedule myself into my schedule instead of others!!!

~Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

ANy update Les?

No dyno time yet...I am flooded with work and home life right now...

I also stopped working on the single event tune...as I could not get rid of off idle and cruising smoke. Other than that, my single tune ran awesome. Great pedal comntrol and smooth power...and that great 12v sound.

~Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123