Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free of charge

Question Free of charge

The help and support given from others on this forum is by far the best i have ever encountered. It comes free of charge from an amazing amount of devoted car people. It would be nice if we could set up some sort of credit rewards system, linked to specific stores or the like. I for one would be a regular contributor to others. Whats your thoughts, would this be a good idea or would it lead to the unknown.

Lifetime Member

Hello Paul,

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" (Samuel Johnson).

While I (and others) appreciate your intent, a good deed should be its own reward. Money (or the credit system you suggested) is often truly "the root of all evil".

Cheers,
    Taz

I was going to put Google ads in my sig before reading this.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Your intent is honourable, but in practice this sort of thing will lead to the unknown.

I have seen some of these boards where there is a "thanks" feature that would be cool if it were activated. Basically when you read something helpful that another member writes you can "thank" him and it adds 1 to his times thanked that shows up by his avatar or in his profile. It just makes a guy feel good to see appreciation when he spends time helping others out. I too am very appreciative of the time that guys spend on here helping out perfect strangers for nothing other than the satisfaction of having shared something they too had to learn. Refreshing. Many Thanks!

Lifetime Member

I like john's idea, just a simple "Thanks!" button with a counter next to a username. Nothing relating to Bad advice or similar though. Credits could be nice, but I think it could turn the site into "who can help more people to win free stuff" forum instead of a bunch of gearheads sharing info to improving the tuning community.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Snowest is another forum I frequent, they have a thanks feature but they also have a "was this post helpful" thumbs up or thumbs down button on each post. I clicked thumbs down on a few guys posts who were trolling and I learned after the fact that somehow YOU CAN SEE WHO CLICKS THUMBS DOWN ON YOUR POSTS!!!! I had no idea, the thing just says "0 out of 1 users found this post helpful". Had a couple guys ragging on me for giving me thumbs down, they were seriously distraught, even though they were obviously just brand bashing and looking to pick a fight. figures...

Quote Originally Posted by lq9nissan View Post
    The help and support given from others on this forum is by far the best i have ever encountered. It comes free of charge from an amazing amount of devoted car people.
    Although I do rarely visit this forum, but I noticed from a lot of posts here and there that the people here are really great and helpful, to be honest maybe the best comparing to other technical forums.

I don't know anybody here but I can't forget either some names... Jeocar, Mr. prick, Taz, Shawn, Tordne, swintan....etc. there is sort of gentleness, creditabilty and hospitality here where you rarely find on other forums. When I exhaust my resources I come back here searching for an answer or knowing that somebody will chime in for help if I ask

MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL GENTLEMEN
    In tuning you don't understand things, you just get used to them

- 2008 C6-Z51, LS3, Edelbrock E-force SC, Methanol Injection, ZR1 camshaft, B&B catback-R66
    - 2005 Tahoe-Z71, LM7, Bank's CAI, Eaton E-lockers, Rancho 9000 Shocks
    - 1996 Nissan Patrol, LT1 355 home built corvette engine, H&C, valve train upgrade, cloye's HD chain, Elec water pump, MCleod twin clutch, 3" headers & pipe work
    http://forum.efilive.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10859&dateline=127922  8842

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Thanks Abdulla.

In reality, thanks works for me. Thank you for your kinds words and to the many others that make this forum outstanding!
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

The forum could not be like this without the forum members...
    Thanks everyone for making this forum how it is, and thanks everyone who contributes

The members here have mutual respect for each other and this allows the exchange of knowledge without politics/drama, this allows a person to effectively learn/understand the topic at hand
    And pretty much everyone here is a serious car guy/girl/person, many of you are very knowledgeable/advanced

And those oilers in the forum make us gassers look majorly slow they keep us on our toes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast