Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First log after long tube header install, recommendations?

Lifetime Member

Default First log after long tube header install, recommendations?

2004 Z06, stock engine, K&N intake, LTH's, 180* stat.
    headers1.efi
    I'm happy with how she runs. I think there is a bit more power to unleash up top, she feels to slow down a bit around 5000 RPMs. LTFT's are still good, I figured it would have thrown those out for a loop.

I see a bit of KR at low RPM when I put my foot down. I'm guessing the headers have something to do with that and a false signal. How do I soften the KS?

Before I install the headers I had my WB in place of the bank 2 sensor 1 NB. Fueling was spot on. I didn't have the time to rewire my WB while installing the headers so I actually left it out. Do you think my fueling may be off? I know there is no way to know unless I use a WB, but what are your honest thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I'm still learning

Hi n8,

That single KR instance lacks the sawtooth pattern... it is when your PE is overly rich, it may possibly be a single instance of rich knock/misfire.

Your LTFT's look good.

It looks to me from the LTFT's that long tube headers have improved airflow by 3% during CL (corresponding to the lower range); the wideband will show the improvement in the upper range.

Yes, install the wideband, and then try the Calc.VET tutorial.

I'm not too happy about the MAF signal, it shows too much variation; post pics of MAF duct.

Remind me: which wideband do you have...? Flashscan V1 or V2...? What other mods on your Z06...?

Lifetime Member

I'll get a pic of the intake set up tomorrow. Is there a special drill bit one could buy for the 02 bung? I have a LC-1, V2, and as far as mods go just the intake, long tubes, mufflers, 180* stat, throttle body bypass... that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by n8dogg View Post
    ... Is there a special drill bit one could buy for the 02 bung?...
    I was able to find a fair quality step-bit at Harbor Freight that worked well, going by memory but I think it's a 3/4" hole.

Mr. P.

ps - I just went into the garage and measured an O2 bung with a set of calipers, 3/4" to 7/8" will work.
    Last edited by Mr. P.; June 29th, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
    2003 Silverado SS, with Novi-1500 "CAI mod"
    EFILive V 7.5 COS-3 (OLSD, for now!)

Lifetime Member

Here you go Joe

I installed my WB today. I may need some help with the Calc.VE tuning. I'll read through the tutorials and gather up some questions. I hope you don't mind.

No I don't mind... in the Calc.VET tutorial have a read of the summary notes also.

From the pic I see the MAF is right behind the filter... air enters the sides of the filter and turns 90° and comes together immediately ahead of the MAF, this is turbulent airflow right there, at least 6 inches of straight travel are needed before entering the MAF...

but, it looks like you can't modify the duct... can you place the MAF at the other end of the duct...? where is the original MAF location...?

Does your MAF have a screen...? If not, then maybe a honeycomb airflow straightener might work, see this:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ighteners.html

Lifetime Member

The MAF placement can only work in front of the duct with the K&N set up. Maybe with some couplers I could rig something up but I want to keep it jerry-rig free. I do believe Vararam came out with a duct that allows you to place the MAF upwards between the duct and throttle body. This is a known issue with the Vettes, even in a stock set-up. Supposedly there is a filter programmed in the PCM for this. Although I am not sure how you'd confirm that. IIRC there is no honey comb, might be worth looking into, thanks for the link.

Here is a log I just made, now that I have the WB installed. To my surprise I am running .5 A/F ratio lower than asked for.
    long tubes and wideband 1.efi

Lifetime Member

OK First question, forgive me for being ignorant. How do I create the calc. PIDs? I am trying the step by step Calc.VE with a new twist from Weatherman and can't figure out how to make the Calc. PID. I saved the text file in the spot as shown and they do not show up in the scan tool.

Too close to the TB is not good either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast