Thread: Bad Misfire and Dieseling Upon Shutdown after Driving in the Rain

Default Bad Misfire and Dieseling Upon Shutdown after Driving in the Rain

Guys, looking for advice....

I was touching up the idle tune on my buddy's 383 LS6 CTS-V last night. Ran great all day, until I got caught in the rain a few miles from home.

It started missing / shaking really bad, both at idle, and under load. I also noticed that it is now dieseling at shutdown. (runs for a couple seconds after the key is turned off).

I searched around a bit, and it seems that O2 sensors can cause the rain misfire, but what about the dieseling? Idling so rich, that it continues to run on after key-off?

The car has longtubes and extensions with new(er) sensors.

I took a datalog with EFILive last night, and it appeared that the O2 voltage was hanging "high" around 700-800 mv, with very little, if any rich/lean switching.

Please help, my bud is supposed to sell his car on Saturday, and I want to square this away before giving it back...

I can take a datalog tonight if anyone is interested...just let me know what PIDs you'd like to see?
    2005 Silverado Duramax LLY - EFI Live Tuned
    1969 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup - Turbocharged 5.3L/4L80E - EFI Live Tuned
    1975 Avenger Jet Boat - 6.0L/Berkley pump - EFI Live tune in progress

Lifetime Member

Does reverting to a previous known good tune make any difference? If yes, do a tune compare and review all differences.

Did any of the connectors under the hood get wet, including the PCM connectors? Are all connections secure?
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

Lifetime Member

Is it currently running with a maf? Does it have some kind of a aftermarket cold air intake? Does it look like it got wet? Try running a log with looking at all the basic engine sensors and see what they are doing. See if any of the values look strange.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by DrX View Post
    Does reverting to a previous known good tune make any difference? If yes, do a tune compare and review all differences.

Did any of the connectors under the hood get wet, including the PCM connectors? Are all connections secure?
    I haven't tried that yet, but it ran great for about 30 miles, and about 1-2 miles after it began raining, it started missing real bad, and shuddering, etc. I believe that everything is secure. I'm going ot go over everything tonight and check it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    Is it currently running with a maf? Does it have some kind of a aftermarket cold air intake? Does it look like it got wet? Try running a log with looking at all the basic engine sensors and see what they are doing. See if any of the values look strange.
    Yes, it is running MAF right now. It has an aftermarket intake tube, but I believe the airbox is stock. I will log some "normal" engine values tonight to see if anything looks weird.

Lifetime Member

Even though the connectors are "sealed" direct water spray or water dripping onto them can cause a short. If the issue is still present, try blowing out the MAF connector with compressed air.
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

Thanks I will give that a shot.

So apparently the rain had nothing to do with it.....and the "exhaust leak" that the owner heard was really a broken valve spring. Of course it broke worse when I was driving it. Started clattering quite a bit while I was troubleshooting last night. Off comes the valve cover aaaaaaaaaand......

Inner was in 3 parts, outer was in 4 parts. Awesome.

Runs great now though

Was that the only spring that broke...?

What is the cam spec, and what springs are they...?

Good thing you found it right away