Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I pass a readiness emissions test?

Default How can I pass a readiness emissions test?

I have an 05 Silverado COS3 with a magnacharger, long tube headers, high flow cat converters, and deleted rear O2's. I was running a semi OLSD tune, but have recently enabled my MAF to try anything to pass an emissions test. I live in NY, and they are not doing a sniffer test. They are hooking up to the OBDII, and checking there. I am not showing any codes, however I am not triggering to clear catalyst monitor, evap system monitor, or the oxygen sensor monitor. I have cleared the oxygen sensor heater monitor, but thats it. Any help would be appreciated. I have enclosed my tun for my inspection if that helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Not sure about NY emissions requirements ... here we have the full spectrum - chassis dyno tailpipe test, visual inspection of components, EVAP leak test (limited to the gas cap).

You will definitely have a problem with the catalyst monitoring component - that is the function of the rear O2 sensors you deleted. You will need to install the rear O2 sensors and turn their diagnostic sub-routine back "on" - you currently have these set to not reported (given the absent sensors).

As long as you don't have an EVAP leak / issue these will show "ready" after enough error free drive cycles have been completed. FYI - every time you hook up a scanner and clear a DTC, or reflash the PCM the drive cycle counter will reset to zero - and you will again need to complete the multiple error free drive cycles to have the "readiness" tests completed.

Regards,
    Taz

This is something i'v never completely understood either because there are processing enablers and then the mil/no mill section. correct me if I'm wrong, so to pass without cats you would have to have the code set to like one trip-emissions but have the code set to no mill? Would that make the test complete and report all is well?

I've never heard anyone spell out exactly the process for tricking the system rediness tests

03 Silverado 5.3 ECSB 4x4 Z71
    Comp Cam 206/212 .515/.522 112 lSA, hardened rods with LS9 springs

2010 Tahoe VVT AFM 5.3
    Stock for now

Lifetime Member

I am not suggesting that he "trick" anything. I am suggesting that he should put the vehicle back to the stock emissions configuration - four functioning O2 sensors, all EVAP equipment, and whatever else it was equipped with originally.

Once all of these systems are properly functional, and after sufficient drive cycles without any intervention (i.e. no use of a scanner to clear DTCs, no flash of the tune) nor DTCs occurring, the PCM should successfully complete the "readiness" tests, and these should be displayed as such.

From my perspective (full barrage of emissions tests required) a "readiness" only emissions test should be very straight forward, and easily achieved.

Regards,
    Taz

+1 what Taz said.

Also, if you follow the drive cycle in the service manual you may be able to get the tests to go ready sooner.

I understand that in the proper comfig the rediness test will take care of themselves, but I thought there were ways to pass the rediness tests even when the vehicle shouldnt per say pass them

2010 Tahoe VVT AFM 5.3
    Stock for now

Clarification sent via pm.

Lifetime Member

NY allows 1 monitor to not be ready when it comes to the obd2 test. The only thing the test does is check to see if there are any monitors not ready. Making DTC's not reported has no effect on whether or not it will pass NYSI. As long as the monitors are set, then you will pass the obd2 part of the inspection.
    2002 Z06
    Vengeance Racing Stage 5, H/C/I/3.90 diff, 575 hp
    2016 Chevy SS M6 (daily driver)
    Roto-fab Intake

Thank you to everyone that helped. I think I have it figured out, I have an inspection tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Clarification sent via pm.
    got it, thanks it makes sense now!

2010 Tahoe VVT AFM 5.3
    Stock for now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast