Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with GTO 6.0 transplant Using 04-LQ4

Default Issues with GTO 6.0 transplant Using 04-LQ4

I swapped a 05 LS2 GTO motor and Auto trans into a 86 monte Carlo in which I used the 04 LQ4 ECM with vette tach and pedal.

Main purpose to go this route was for ease of old stock style cruise control function using ETC that without this configuration would otherwise be controled through the BCM on a GTO.

Problem Im having is a major lag in full throttle from a dead stop. Idle and starts fine. Part to mid throttle is great with no issues. WOT seems to have issues at high speeds but this may be a need to increase rev. limit?

Wondering if I have either a traction control and or torque management issue. Attached is my current tune. Any advise or direction on if its set properly is appreciated.

Thanks.

Lifetime Member

The DBW system requires the PCM OS, TAC module, and TB (throttle body) to be mutually compatible. It appears you have used truck and Corvette components - these must all be from a truck or a Corvette - but not both.

The Corvette APP (gas pedal) should work with either of the above groups of components.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    The DBW system requires the PCM OS, TAC module, and TB (throttle body) to be mutually compatible. It appears you have used truck and Corvette components - these must all be from a truck or a Corvette - but not both.

The Corvette APP (gas pedal) should work with either of the above groups of components.

Regards,
    Taz
    So if I read this correctly if i swap to a truck TAC that would resolve my issues? From what I was told by speartech and Howell EFI the corvette TAC and pedal would work with the PCM but I dont know of or have a solid data base (aka other trustworthy, documented resource) that would either verify or disprove what I have been told.

Do you have such data?

Thanks for the reply.

Lifetime Member

It would help if you listed what vehicle and year, each of your components are from - APP, TAC, TB, and OS in PCM.

Regards,
    Taz

Whats wrong with your crystal ball? Sorry, I should have detailed before asking the question..

OS is that of an 04 LQ4 with 4L60E per the attached from my first post:

Pedal is the Vette pedal from 97-04 application

TAC is the Early Vette TAC for same applicaion as pedal, part number 12578953

Engine is an 05 LS2 GTO with 4L65E 24x reluctor

Thanks.

Lifetime Member

OK ... I always look for "no cost" diagnostic options. You have already licensed your PCM, so you can flash it with any calibration you want at no cost.

The part number from the TAC is the generic 1997-2004 replacement part.

Assuming there is no mechanical / wiring / defective component issue - I would recommend trying a 2004 Corvette tune. These used the same OS as your current tune (12587603), so you would be able to import changes readily via the "Load Alternative Calibration" function in the EFILive software.

Once you have the Corvette tune configured and ready to install, it will require a full flash (OS & calibration). I think there is one on the Tune File Depot site - a manual tune will be OK, as you can swap in the transmission diagnostic and transmission calibration segments if necessary.

I assume you are using the GTO LS2 TB - this is the only unknown component with respect to compatibility. I also assume you have a custom wiring harness or adapter harness to use this TB.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Im with Taz, dont use a truck OS if you have all the Vette parts already on your swap. It will take a little time to get the Vette OS setup like the truck one, but no more than an hour or two.

If you cant find an automatic Vette tune, you can swap the trans segment from your existing tune into the Vette one. Vette engine OS with 4L60E auto control. Hopefully you can find one, the Vettes still used the 4L60Es in 04.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

What about the displacment difference? (5.7 LS6 Vette vs. LQ4 6.0)

Will I be wrestling with this difference in any capacity?

and is there any merit to my concerns with torque/TC managment per the file I posted?

I ask this question again as I saw another post where similiar issues to mine were happening because of settings in these parameters.

Unfortunatley, no specifics were given, just that the problem had been resolved with respect to my concerns.

Not trying to cast away your advice, just want to make sure I'm not going to complicate or compound my issues.

Thanks,

Matt

Lifetime Member

Hello Matt,

The Corvette tune will need to be configured for your LS2 engine - displacement, VE, knock sensors, MAF etc. This is not a "drop in" type solution - it will require some work - but doesn't cost anything.

If you are not comfortable with these tasks at this time in your tuning career, then purchasing a truck TAC my be a better alternative for you. That said, the truck tune will also need to be configured for the LS2 engine - VE, knock sensors, MAF, etc. - unless you purchased this tune preconfigured for the LS2.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Hello Matt,

The Corvette tune will need to be configured for your LS2 engine - displacement, VE, knock sensors, MAF etc. This is not a "drop in" type solution - it will require some work - but doesn't cost anything.

If you are not comfortable with these tasks at this time in your tuning career, then purchasing a truck TAC my be a better alternative for you. That said, the truck tune will also need to be configured for the LS2 engine - VE, knock sensors, MAF, etc. - unless you purchased this tune preconfigured for the LS2.
    Regards,
    Taz
    If its not apparant already, My "tuning career" started about 4 posts ago. Regardless of that, what you are advising makes sense in that the engine packages and respective componenets that have been meshed are probably not playing right.

What it boils down to is that I have, as you already assumed, paid for this set-up (Custom harness for GTO LS2 DBW TB and supporting ECU and tune). It looks like now I will have to convince the vendor to take action based on feedback.

Thanks again for your time, I appreicate it.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast