Thread: Mail order tune off?

Default Mail order tune off?

Hey guys I have a mail order tune and being that i'm a novice at tuning i'd like you to take a look at my log and tune files. I have a 04 Silverado SS with the 6.0L. Mods include a tr224 cam, long tube headers, no cats, magnaflow muffler, cai, 8.1l truck injectors, tr55ix plugs, Taylor 10.4 plug wires, ported and polished tb, built 4l65e trans with stock converter, e-fans.
    The cam is on a 112lsa, and you can tell it's not stock, but the idle doesn't have the tuned cam sound to it. I noticed my ltft's are way off and I need to get this down. I also raised my shift points to 6000rpm, and lowered my fan turn on and off temps.

This tune has to get me by for a few months as I have a turbo ready to go on, and a new motor and trans in the works now. When I get the motor and turbo in i'm going with COS3 and running a sd tune.

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi sinr98,

A few quick comments:
    - B3616 and B3615 are too restrictive, set these to 65% below 3200 and 35% above 3200.
    - B3605 and B3648 are too lean when ECT is cold, set these tables to stock values.
    - B3601 is wrong if you're using pump gas which contains some amount of alcohol (I'm not sure how your PCM detects flex fuel).
    - D0961 and D0962 set these to 100% (same as D0960) to avoid conflict with PT up/down shift tables.

[ I'm not critiquing the mail order tune, I'm just looking at improvements ]

Thanks for the help Joe. I have made the changes other than the B3601. What should the AFR be at? Shouldn't it be commanding 14.68 with any alcohol content? The truck isn't a flex fuel truck. It is a 91octane and up only fuel. Thanks again Joe.

In the US, the following fuels can be found at the pump:
    - gasoline which would have stoich 14.6-14.7 if it contained no alcohol.
    - E10 which would have stoich 14.12 if it was really 10% alcohol, but it has been found to be as high as 15%.
    - E85 which would have stoich 9.7 if it was really 85% alcohol.

There are alcohol content test kits (about $20-$30), these allow you to measure your gas and look up the stoich value to use for B3601.

Then do all of your logging/tuning in EQR/Lambda... e.g. log GM.EQIVRATIO and EXT.WO2LAM1 (if you have V2) or CALC.AFR_LC11/14.7 (if you have an LC-1 connected to a V1, for example)... your BEN will now be EQIVRATIO*WO2LAM1 or EQIVRATIO*AFR_LC11/14.7.

See the Calc.VET tutorial thread for more info on this.

I get what your saying with the alcohol content. Is it worth it to find out what the content is due to the fact that I use several fuel suppliers?
    I will do some logs with the wideband next week and post that up too. The truck runs great but I know there is more in it for sure.

You can use "close enough"... ask your fuel supplier what they say and use that... e.g. if they say E10 then use 14.12...

but, you're taking the effort to use a COS and you expect the most from your engine.

You can get the LTFT's close to zero by doing the Calc.VET tutorial.