Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My quest to tune my car...

Default My quest to tune my car...

i hope this is allowed. i just wanted to make a thread that i can update with various changes, issues, solutions, advice etc as my tune progresses.

if its too cumbersome, then delete/move, i won't be offended :-) i'll just have to stick to notebook and pen!

Thanks to you guys, my trans tune/lock-up issue is fixed.

I have posted my starting tune, some stuff is odd (its an ls1 in an lt1 car, some of the tables for the gauges had to be 'manipulated') so if anyone uses the tune (don't know why you would anyway), beware!

Here is the car as of 8/1/2011

ls1, a4 trans, 3600 Torque converter, 2.73 gears, ms3 cam ( 237/242 .603/.609 at 112lsa), longtubes + full exhaust.

Motor other than cam is stock, stock ls1 intake, stock TB, stock 241 casting heads

I am running on a 98 PCM

First step is to get the car running normal at idle...i am going to read some of the idle threads on here (all 50 of them...:p) and i will post up what i changed...

if anyone has any suggestions/opinions at any point, please, by all means, feel free to tell me!

419PWM.tun

Lifetime Member

What wideband do you have? Thats a pretty stock engine setup, you might have good luck using the Calc.VET tuning method to dial your VE and MAF tables in. Dont know how to do it on a LS1A PCM, it was written for the LS1B PCM (99-02). Not sure if you want to invest in a 99-02 PCM swap or not, depends what your goals are for the car.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The Calc.VET tutorial shows how to rig up a dynamic air temperature pid for the 1998/LS1A PCM.

i will give that tutorial a full analysis! thanks alot.

still using NB02s...wideband is on order but i have another project to finish first :-/

okay so i'm going to upload my previous tune prior to adding 10% to ve tables and go try out the calc.vet tuning

in order to get my idle trims set (running RICH), can i utilize the calc.vet method? would i be able to just use the scan tool to command 800, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200 rpms to get trims? i may have missed this portion in the idle tips/tricks thread

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    The Calc.VET tutorial shows how to rig up a dynamic air temperature pid for the 1998/LS1A PCM.
    Didnt know that Joe, its been a few months since I read it and Ive only used the Calc.VE tutorial not the Calc.VET one because I didnt have a wideband on the truck I was tuning.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Didnt know that Joe, its been a few months since I read it and Ive only used the Calc.VE tutorial not the Calc.VET one because I didnt have a wideband on the truck I was tuning.

yeah, theres lots of hidden info in there that i didn't see until i read the WHOLE thing in its entirety a couple times...like where the frick i'm supposed to put the calc_vet.txt file lol

i'll be out tomorrow hopefully getting my fuel trims dialed in.

i just hope i can use this same method to get fuel trims between 800-1000 under control...
    if i idle with my windows open my eyes burn from the exhaust fumes

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crunkmaro View Post
    yeah, theres lots of hidden info in there that i didn't see until i read the WHOLE thing in its entirety a couple times...like where the frick i'm supposed to put the calc_vet.txt file lol

i'll be out tomorrow hopefully getting my fuel trims dialed in.

i just hope i can use this same method to get fuel trims between 800-1000 under control...
    if i idle with my windows open my eyes burn from the exhaust fumes
    Yep I had to read it 2 or 3 times before I tried it, always picked up some small fact that was important the next time reading it.

Ugh, burning your eyes at idle? Doesnt sound like any fun, shouldnt be doing that with a mostly stock LS1 + cam setup.

Have you read the idle stickies? LS1 Idle Sticky
    ~Erik~

okay first log...seems to be an issue getting into closed loop?

did a quick log just to see if it was working and i ended up with 0 values as averages in some of the cells in map A...

gonna go try this again

caLcvet1.efi

when i am doing my log i am noticing that my CL factor is always 1...which i'm guessing means i am still in open loop? would a slow o2 sensor prevent me from being in closed loop?

second log...

theres some funky numbers in the ve table in that log...idk whats going on?

calcvet2.efi

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast