Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My quest to tune my car...

Ok that's good, I just wanted to make sure it was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I see the ETC warning when I open you .tun file... have you been flashing this file, does the engine run ok...?

yeahh its been like this ever since i got the car runnign with the first file. i've flashed maybe 30 times? that warning shows up every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by maudyZ28 View Post
    it should run ok, I get the warning too Joecar with my 99 Camaro. Has cable throttle anyhow.

The VE do look different but not in a bad way, the stock 98-99 VE tables i found were quite close at high MAP/High RPM but way over at low RPM.
    Just doing Auto VE with my wide band for my Heads cam camaro (253 stock ls2 heads with TSP 228R cam), i'm struggling with idle also a bit, your must be much harder being a larger cam??
    Are you in CL when it smells rich?? The AFR should be fluctuating about 14.7 ish so the fuel mix should be right?
    my idle sits pretty still for the most part, i am in closed loop, it was much much worse initially before i started doing calcvet...

so that zigzaggy pattern is normal? i'll flash it in and see what happens lol

okay back from vacation.

back to work lol

i'm going to post up my 'progress' so to speak...

tune 01 is after calcve, i pushed up somedips and pulled down some spikes but it is pretty much exactly what i scanned.

ST2mafchangevetab_01.tun

now here is a log after that tune was flashed in, and ltfts i forgot to clear...

scanafter01.efi

i used that to modify maf calibration and the ve tables once...i also checked out the idle tutorial and added spark and air to the corresponding tables(per tutorial) i also added to the startup friction table in order to get my car to start on the first crank versus having to pedal it to start...i noticed that now i have surge issues as well as stalling out a couple times in low speed manuevers (bumper to bumper traffic)

here is my updated tune...

ST2mafchangevetab_02.tun

i did a log afterwords...LTFTS and selbens seem to be settling down

logafter02.efi

i used that log to modify the ve table and maf calibration once again...also decreased startup friction tables by half...the surging isn't so bad but on warm startups, going from Park to R/D causes the car to stall... this is tune 03...

ST2mafchangevetab_03.tun

the log from that is in the next post...ltfts and selbens are slowly but surely approaching zero with occasional spikes...

TBC....

here is the log after flashing in the third tune...

logafter03.efi

its getting better...

warm startups still have the same issue...as soon as i go from P/N to Drive gear car dies out...now to check out the idle tutorial and check out the spark section.

i've also utilized the logging off sae.maf vs ECT temps in order to determine desired airflow...

quick question to whoever is looking out there..

in the idle tutorial, its mentioned to log sae.maf vs ect

now, those values go in both the P/N as well as INGEAR columns correct?

They go into whichever column matches the gear lever (i.e. P/N or in-gear).

You will need wideband for the non-closed loop areas of VE and MAF.

In the meantime, you can take the trend and apply it up there.

You can locally smooth the VE table, fill in the inverted spikes, don't do more than that.

How does it run, do you notice any difference.

They go into whichever column matches the gear lever (i.e. P/N or in-gear).

hahaha...:p

You will need wideband for the non-closed loop areas of VE and MAF.

In the meantime, you can take the trend and apply it up there.

You can locally smooth the VE table, fill in the inverted spikes, don't do more than that.

How does it run, do you notice any difference.

it runs a LOT better. the hesitation upon applying the throttle is gone, the car pulls smoothly instead of that "sunken stomach" feeling i used to get when there'd be a noticeable loss of power in the curve.

calcvet has made a HUGE difference.

until i get my wideband in (unfortunately i have to wait until my twin turbo project is done before i can drop the cash on that) i want to focus more on driveability...

the only problems i have as of now is intermittent idle surging.

i said in an above post that after the 03 file was flashed, i was having an issue with the car stalling out. i had done the idle logging to get my desired airflow in...but i had only transfered that information into the p/n column. i did another log with the car in gear (hooray for parking brakes) and utilized those values for ingear column. i went out for a quick ride and the car seemed to be doing much better. *knock on wood*

i kept reducing down the startup airflow table until i know its too low (car won't start normally)...now i should be able to up it ever so slightly so i can get a nice clean startup first time around.

w00t
    Last edited by Crunkmaro; August 19th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Cool, good job

Cool, good job

well...more like good job to you.

i pretty much went through blackflag's thread to get my stuff figured out...Shawn's (rip) and yours comments are the only reason i figured out how to use a filter, how to set up a map, how to log, how to change tables without manually doing them etc etc etc.

i'm done for the night...updated my tune file to raise up the start up friction table a bit so i can get easy starts, now i'll drive the thing for a couple days and see how it reacts and learns.

Ps: this forum beats any journal/diary i've ever kept
    94 TransAm: LS1/a4 swap...98 OS. 237/242 603/609 cam (MS3). 3600 Converter, 2.73 gears. Full Exhaust
    98 Camaro: twin 61s (in progress)...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234