Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy, another newby.

Default Howdy, another newby.

Hi guys,
    Just purchased EFIlive, watching the tracker like a hawk, can't wait for it to arrive.

Any tips on what I should read up on, or where I should start with regards to modifying tunes with EFIlive?
    I eventually want to be able to run an SD tune with commanded AFR's instead, so I don't have to rely on the nb sensors (as I understand it.)

Cheers,
    Soop.

Lifetime Member

Well the best way to go about it would be to start with what you are working with
    Car / Engine / Setup you have ? Camaro, LS1, AFR heads, Comp Cam, T66 Turbo ?
    What your goals are ? Drag race, Street brawler, Road race, Wheelie king ?

-Justin

Yeah sorry bout that.
    Its an SS commodore. LS1. Pretty well standard aside from a set of extractors, highflow cats and twin 2.5" exhaust.

At the moment the fuel efficiency is horrid, somewhere in the vacinity of 22ltr/100km. I'm putting this down to the rubbish o2 sensors that are in it and the fact its only done short trips lately.

My initial plans are to do a fair bit of data logging before I even think about touching the tune.

Lifetime Member

No need to be sorry after all you are here to learn.

Extractors = Headers ??

So approximately 10 mpg (miles per gallon) WOW that is bad, my 98 L31 truck gets about 15 mpg
    I'm assuming it's city/hwy.

I would order up a WBO2 ( Wide Band O2 ) so that you get some good solid AFR readings.

-Justin

I have a WB02 kit on the way.
    Extractors = headers yes. I take it you're in America .

My economy is 100% urban. Nine times out of ten I drive the long way to my destination to let the motor warm up. Even so, its quiet bad. I'm almost certain its due to poor o2 sensors that are currently in it. Which is partly why I want to ditch them and run commanded AFR's.
    But before I go playing with custom OS' I wanted to see if there were any little adjustments I can make to the base tune, and if so. Where should I start.
    I should mention, my fuel economy gets down to about 11/100 once I hit the highway for any decent amount of time.

Lifetime Member

Honestly you're going to want to have your NBO2s working to help dial your tune in, especially since it sounds like you dont have any prior tuning experience.

Take a look at these Calc.VET threads:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ntire-VE-Table.
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-Summary-Notes
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....VET-In-Reverse

If your goal is to eventually run semi-OL and ditch the NBs, Id suggest you need to spend a LOT of time getting your tune pretty spot on. This takes more time if your NBs arent working. Honestly if you have the $$ to spend on EFILive and a good wideband, the extra $100-120 for a pair of new NBs isnt much and if you use EFILive, a wideband, and the factory O2s your tune will be setup pretty quickly and also be able to compensate for a tank of bad gas, etc that inevitably happens. If you remove the NBs, the PCM cant adjust the fuel trims. My .02.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

That is about 18 mpg highway, not too bad.
    You might want to have the car checked out at a shop before you start tuning ?

-Justin

Its had new o2's in it.
    It just keeps going to shit. I've had a little experience tuning prior but I feel its best to start off this project with the mindset of not having done it before.

As for taking it to a shop. I've lost faith, 4 mechanics couldn't diagnose a faulty CAS even after I'd told them to change it.
    I'm not going to jump straight into a full commanded AFR setup. I will just play with what I have for the moment and see if I can't get the nb's working well. I've a feeling the headers could be causing them to be a little funny. They're not in exactly the same place as standard. So the temp's could be different I guess and the cats flow more.

EFIllive just rolled up.
    FedEX FTW. 3 days from NZ to Tassie.
    Last edited by Soopy; August 3rd, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Hi Soopy, welceome to the forum... which model Commodore SS...? As Erik said above, poor fuel economy is usually due to old O2 sensors.

The o2 sensors are brand new . Thus my annoyance and confusion.

Its a VY Series 2.
    Only real mods are a Extractors, 2.5" cats (unsure on CPI), and a twin 2.5" catback. I had a CAS drop its guts which seems to have had a follow on effect for everything. The ignition system has been replaced, well the leads and plugs. The O2's are new, the MAF is a known working item as is the MAP.
    I know of another member who's had a similar issues with o2's and he simply chose to tune in constant CL (IIRC, just running commanded AFR with the aid of a wb02?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast