Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need VVE tuning help

Lifetime Member

OK ... as a disclaimer I am just starting to work with Gen IVs ... Swingtan is our resident expert.

You had asked that I explain any changes ... here goes ... the tune had not been properly setup for VVE tuning.
    • B1503 & B1504 had not been disabled
    • B0156 was set to 0.4 - it should have been set to 4.0
    • the MAF & MAF associated MILs were not setup per the VVE tutorial
    • B8101 had an error in zone 12 - too few cells - caused by your B8021 (MAP Zone Boundary) settings
    The attached tune below should be in OL with STFT, LTFT, DFCO, and MAF disabled - ready for the VVE tuning process.

Do not forget to reset the LTFT - even if these are disabled they will continue to be applied unless reset.

Regards,
    Taz

Good work Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010TestCar View Post
    I noticed that when I made changes to the VVE RPM and MAP Zone, saved the tune and returned, was almost flat accross the board with a big spike in the middle... is that happening to you or anyone else here?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007chevy5.3l View Post
    Wish I could help you out but I havent even got there to that part yet
    There is a step in the VVE guide that specifically addresses this. If you alter the zone boundaries ( RPM and / or MAP ), you need to repopulate the VVE table after first saving the tune file. It is due to the way that EFILive builds the VVE maps on when it opens a tune file. The simple method, is to go to {B8101} and select all, then copy with labels. Then make changes to the zone boundaries. Then save the file as a new tune, followed by reopening the new tune file. then go to {B8101} and you will see its shape have changed, so then just "paste with labels" to put the VVE shape back to standard. Generate the coefficients, generate the VVE and you are back to normal.

The more "correct" method is to open the new tune and the old tune at the same time, and copy the following MAPs over from the original tune to the new tune, post zone modification.

{B8105}
    {B8106}
    {B8155}
    {B8156}

This will then cater for all combinations of forced induction, intake tuning valves and AFM operation. The original VVE guide I wrote was specifically aimed at {B8101}.

Simon.

Taz,
    I understand were I went wrong in tables B1503, B1504 and B0156. What I dont understand is how the MAF & MAF associated MILs were not setup per the VVE tutorial? I thought I set them all to Not Reported. The tutorial says-"Parameter: P0101, P0102 and P0103
    Set all to “No MIL”".. Second, I dont see where you are getting the numbers for RPM selection 3-5 in the B8020 table. Stock it shows the numbers being 16 and you set them to 21 in those cells.. All that the tutorial says is- "The stock settings are
    pretty good, but you may want to drop the “MAP 1” values to help set the idle airflow."

Maybe im missing something (again) lol?
    2007 5.3l Tahoe. K&N CAI, Pacesetter LT/ORY no muffler, vette servo, Tru-cool 40k, Innovate LC-1 wideband, 3.42's Circle D 3k, 100shot
    Slowly learning how to tune via EFILIVE

Lifetime Member

I'm glad you mentioned you had adjusted the MAF related MILs - this caused me to re-examine the tune file. Per the tutorial the MAF related MILs are to be set to "No MIL" - this is done in the "DTC MIL" subfolder. You had gone into the "DTC Type" subfolder and set these to "Not Reported" - which I missed when I looked at your tune.

The diagnostics (DTC Type folder) need to remain active so that the ECM will fail the MAF, and default to the VVE table. I have corrected this in the revised tune below.

I'm not sure how to answer your MAP Zone Boundary (B8021) question - the MAP 1 values in the "original" tune (post #6) were 30, 25, 21, 21, 21 - reading down the column. I confirmed these as being stock with another similar tune file.

In the VVE tune from post #1 - these values were 25, 20, 16, 16, 16 - so you changed them at some point - I merely returned them to stock.

Regards,
    Taz

i've found with the e38 in my car, that if you leave the following:
    MAF Test Min RPM (RPM)
    Parameters Value
    {C0312} MAF Test Min RPM 300.000000 RPM

the car will start and drop rpm, almost like a stall. my car has been doing this since day 1.

i thought i'd be clever last night and changed it to 2000rpm.

first start this morning and pow! no more start up to 1200rpm, instant drop to 500, then back up to 1000rpm idle.

car started and sat straight on 1000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Do not forget to reset the LTFT - even if these are disabled they will continue to be applied unless reset.

This is VERY important. I spent a long time trying to work out what was happening with my tune until I saw my LTFT's were disabled but still ACTIVE

Cheers

Ben

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    i've found with the e38 in my car, that if you leave the following:
    MAF Test Min RPM (RPM)
    Parameters Value
    {C0312} MAF Test Min RPM 300.000000 RPM

the car will start and drop rpm, almost like a stall. my car has been doing this since day 1.

i thought i'd be clever last night and changed it to 2000rpm.

first start this morning and pow! no more start up to 1200rpm, instant drop to 500, then back up to 1000rpm idle.

car started and sat straight on 1000rpm.
    Thank you for sharing that information Tre-Cool ... I have gathered many "work arounds" for the Gen III controllers, but sometimes feel like I'm blindfolded as I try to comprehend how the Gen IV controllers work. The E38 is a great controller - just a little complicated when compared to an LS1-B controller.

Regards,
    Taz

Well guys my laptop crashed lastnight so my tuning session has stopped for the moment. Too bad efilive doesnt work on an android...
    Taz, i was having trouble with generating the coeffs before the crash so when i get it back and running again i will have a question for ya.
    Thanks for the help and i will post up when im back at it again.
    2007 5.3l Tahoe. K&N CAI, Pacesetter LT/ORY no muffler, vette servo, Tru-cool 40k, Innovate LC-1 wideband, 3.42's Circle D 3k, 100shot

Okay I need some help, I cant seem to make this happen-

NOTE:

Before moving on, you should do 3 things…

1. Go to B8101, press <F4>, select all cells and “copy with labels”

2. Save the current tune (after adjusting the previous 2 parameters) as a new tune file.

3. “Re-open” the same file, and go to B8101. It should look somewhat different to

previously if you have changed the previous parameters. Select all cells and “Paste

with labels” to return the VVE to a stock like map. Click on “Generate Coeffs”

and “Generate VVE” to complete the process.

When I do this it doesnt make any chage to the B8101 map and i click on the Generate Coeffs it doenst do anything either... Whats the deal??

When you paste the number back to the vve are they different?
    David McLain
    www.etdrag.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast