Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please, PCM in dead poll will not take flash, cos 5 upgrade

Default Help please, PCM in dead poll will not take flash, cos 5 upgrade

Trying to flash just the calibration from my base file into the pcm after I loaded the initial cos 5 file and it won't let me flash the new calibration. It says that the os's have different numbers.

99 chevy c1500 5.3. I built a file from an 02 file downloaded from tunefiledepot flashed the cal and os and got it running just fine. sucked out the new file and saved it. shut it off, flashed the cos 5 base file 02020003 and it went well. Now it is stuck without a calibration because I am trying to follow step 4 which says to flash just the calibration from the file I read after it was running good and it gives an error that the os have different numbers and that it won't allow it to calibrate.

"Open the *.tun file that you saved in step 1. It contains the PCM’s calibrations from before the EFILive Custom Operating System was installed. Perform a calibration only reflash of that *.tun file.
    At this stage, the PCM is capable of starting and running your engine. However, don't get too excited just yet, there are a few more steps that must be completed."

What am I doing wrong?

Just realized I installed 02020003 wich I thought was a version of cos 5, looks like the 03 on the end makes it cos 3. What should I do, will cos 5 overwrite the cos 3 without a calibrating it first? Hoping to not turn this pcm into a doorstop.

Lifetime Member

Full flash COS5, then do the cal only reflash. Hope that sets you straight, Ive had a PCM or 2 in limbo before and its nerve racking!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thank you, I had 2 problems, wrong cos then wrong file saved as my calibration read from vehicle file...had the old 99 file saved somehow and that wouldnt work with either cos. I reflashed the new 02 donor file and read it out and saved it properly, then flashed the right cos 02020005 and flashed the saved 02 cal over it and read it back out so I can fix the out of range cells. Should have it going in short order if things keep working out.

Fixed oor cells, found I had to change them and change them back to get them to stick as changed after flashing and reading it back out. Also found the 99 to 02 conversion problem of dtc P1638 regarding the alternator terminal wire not used on 99's. Changed it to not reported and flashed it, drove it to the store with no problems, working great, Next step 2 bar map sensor.

For alternator wire look at G1206 and G1207.

You got it going on COS5...

Did you read it out and save to file...? (this is your starting file for any future edits).

Did you fix all the OOR's...?

Did you set B3647 to sane values...?

Yep, running great, have a couple copies saved of this base file now. Out of Range cells changed, saved, changed back and saved again to get them to not read out of range anymore. Changed B3647 to the way it showed in the tutorial and flashed it. Vehicle has worked flawlessly as far as I can tell from a few short drives.

PM sent, but also looking for help from anyone who can lend it. I want to run SD (using stock maf only for IAT, eventually replacing it with a separate IAT sensor) and use a 2 bar gm map. I want to operate in Open loop and closed loop now (I think), but eventually I will be operating in open loop only. I am lost in some of the "How to steps" found in the tutorials, notes and threads, looking for some "why" so I have a background on what I am doing and why. I want to make sure I do everything in the right order for the right reasons. 99 c1500 5.3 completely stock so far, preparing the pcm for all of the modifications I plan on doing to the motor, want to get this working before I make the other changes, (one thing at a time with an insanity check in between each).

I have a good grasp of the Boost VE table, when the new map sensor reads 105kpa or higher it will reference the appropriate values, 105 kpa copied from the end of the standard ve table and then scaled to 300% to roughly estimate the increasing ve at the rest of the cells under boost. Eventually refined but rough for now to get started.

I understand you have to trick the pcm into thinking the maf has failed so that it reverts to using other inputs like rpm, map, tps, baro, VE to calculate the cylinder mass.

Maybe the best way to ask what I all need to do yet is to cut copy paste the tutorial and notes the way I think I should do it and see if anyone can verify/clarify the rest of this process for me:

1. Get the vehicle running properly on COS5 according to the pdf tutorial directions (here) with the original vehicle calibration flashed over the COS, oor cells fixed and verified, basically steps 1 through 6 which ends on page 12. Done. Except I believe I omitted this step on pg 10:
    [To control the fuelling exclusively via this calibration, you must also configure:
    Engine->Fuel->Trim.
    • {B4205} Closed Loop Temp Enable: Set to max setting
    Engine->Fuel->O2->Parameters.
    • {B4108} STFT Idle Enable: Disable]

I didnt change these settings yet, I don't understand what this is doing. Looks like it is killing closed loop and disabling stft's at idle. Should I have changed these settings, why?

2. test drive the vehicle to make sure it is working good on maf, no dtc's or mil. save a copy of the working cos5 with maf tune as a base. Done.

3. ignore valet mode instructions pg 13 because I wont use that feature or nitrous features.

4. note the reading from the current map sensor so I can use it to calibrate the 2 bar.

5. Install the 2 bar map sensor.

6. change {C6301} MAP Sensor Scaler: to 190 for a 2 bar map to get me close.

7. Flash the new cal, scan for the new MAP reading and compare.

8. adjust {C6301} up or down a bit to get the value closer, flash, then scan again and repeat until I can get the map reading the same or very very close to the original 1 bar. Any idea how much a change to the scalar changes the MAP reading?

9. Change {C5501} MAP Rationality Test RPM High (RPM) to 2000RPM. (so that it isnt performing the test under boost?)

10. Disable the maf sensor (but leave it in because mine has integrated IAT) by performing the following steps
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine Diagnostics->MAF->Parameters:
    • {C2901} MAF High Frequency Fail 1: 1Hz
    • {C2902} MAF High Frequency Fail 2: 1Hz If calibration {C2902} is not available in the operating system that you are using, then ignore this step.
    • {C2903} MAF High Frequency Fail Limit: 1
    • {C2907} MAF Test Min Engine Speed: 300 RPM
    • {C2908} MAF Test Min Run Time: 0.1 seconds
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine DTC processing Enablers:
    • P0101 ‘C’ Non Emissions
    • P0102 ‘C’ Non Emissions
    • P0103 ‘C’ Non Emissions
    Set the Engine Diagnostics->Engine DTC MIL Enablers:
    • P0101 ‘No MIL’
    • P0102 ‘No MIL’
    • P0103 ‘No MIL’

11. I would ignore the step on pg 15 regarding setting {C6101} because I have a cable type throttle boty.

12. Then follow these steps for turning off transmission dtc's even though in my current cal they are already set to "no"
    Set the Transmission Diagnostics->Transmission DTC Fault Max Pressure Enablers
    • P0101 ‘No’
    • P0102 ‘No’
    • P0103 ‘No’
    Set the Transmission Diagnostics->Transmission Failsafe Enablers:
    • Set all airflow related enablers to ‘No’ to prevent the transmission from going into failsafe mode due to the MAF being disabled.

13. Reduce the barometric pressure offset learning window by changing the following so that if I drive in different altitudes an offset can be calculated:
    Engine Calibration->Barometer->Parameters:
    • {B0301} Min RPM for Barometer Update: 1200 RPM
    • {B0302} Max RPM for Barometer Update: 2000 RPM (or before high boost levels)

14. Since I plan on eventually running under boost I would follow the directions on pg 18. I don't know why you would wait to observe "significant spark retardation" instead of just changing these parameters right off the bat? I am new to this, I don't understand why you would want torque management.
    "If you observe significant spark retardation as you pass through 110-115 kPa MAP, the likely culprit will be torque management. You can confirm that by logging the PID {GM.EST_TRQ_DMA}.
    To prevent the torque management subsystem removing spark timing, change the following calibrations:
    Engine Calibration->Torque Limiting:
    • {B1902} Torque Loss from Spark Retard: Set to all zeros.
    Engine Calibration->Torque Limiting->Parameters:
    • {B6619} Max Torque, Trans Input Shaft: Maximum value.
    • {B6620} Max Torque, Trans Output Shaft: Maximum value."

15. That is all the changes I could come up with from the tutorial, now to dig into Joecar's notes taken from the .txt in the cos5 tutorial I would confirm
    The COS allows adaptable spark (i.e. sliding between HO and LO tables depending on
    detection of knock) even when the MAF is failed; to do this these parameters must
    be set as follows:
    - A0000 set to Disabled,
    - A0002 set to 100%.
    Does this mean I am operating with adaptive spark right now (COS5 with MAF)? This means I should leave my high and low octane tables original?

16. I also dont understand when you would want a TP VE table as opposed to a MAP VE table? Map when throttle is steady, TP when making quick transitions between throttle positions?

17. After all this I think I would save the new file, flash it, try to start it, check dtc's, try to test drive it and then start into the tutorial on VE tuning.

What do you think, how far off am I, what am I missing or not understanding?

If you can read this you don't need glasses.

Latest update, installed the 2 bar and changed the scalar. was 14.4psi baro and 14.3psi MAP with the 1 bar. 190 scalar value got me 14.0 baro and 13.9 map. 191 made no change, 200 put it up to 14.6. 195 got me the same initial readings that my 1 bar gave me so that was what I stuck with. Dabbled at trying to change the units to KPA for finer resolution but gave up quickly and pressed on as all of this was undo-able if need be. Need to figure out what units to be working in and how to change them easily.

Then I made all the changes above including what Joe PM'd me which was:
    Make sure:
    - B3616 PE Enable allows easy enable of PE (65% below 3200, 35% above 3200),
    - I would run with B3618 PE set to the same value as the last column of B3647,

Fired it up and drove it to get some gas and a unibit for drilling the hole in my exhaust for the wideband.
    It was totally driveable. Not necessarily refined by any means but light throttle and cruise you would never know it was a custom operating system and SD untuned. Shifts and power under heavy throttle were different, definitely need to work on this and learn more but so far the thing works at least. I am going to install my serial wideband to this vehicle and hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can start logging some drives.

In scantool: on PIDs tab, on MAP pid do rightclick->Metric.

In tunetool: go Edit->Configure Display Units and search for any data/row/col that uses MAP and do rightclick->Metric.

[ hint: by clicking on the column heading the list of tables gets sorted on that column ]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast