Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.7L ECM & TCM Reading

Default 6.7L ECM & TCM Reading

Hi All,

In the latest update just posted we have enabled the option to read the 6.7L ECM & TCM.
    See here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-2-Aug-19-2011

It is very important if you are going to attempt to read a 6.7L you have to use that software and firmware above, anything older will not work.

A little word of warning. The 6.7L ECM does not play well when it comes to being read, in testing we found the only way to successfully read the ECM was using a very slow process, you are looking at around 28 minutes just to read the ECM. I want to stress this is not something EFILive has any control of, it's the best we can do with what Cummins provided. It's very annoying it's so slow considering we can read some of GM's new ECM's in just over 2 minutes and we are reading almost double the amount of data as the 6.7L ECM
    The TCM is not as bad, If I recall that was around 8 minutes for a read.

If you do manage to get some reads then please Email the files to - support@efilive.com with a few details on the truck.
    Please note, this does not mean we are on the verge of releasing tuning support, we first need to gather as many 6.7L files as possible. We also request that you do not send in any tunes from hand held tuners. When we are mapping new ECM's it's always preferable to use stock files.

Thanks,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thank you for the update to the 6.7.

It also takes a long time to flash a stock file into the ECM through a J2534 device.

Who do you want the stock reads sent to? I have a lot of customers with the 6.7L.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorzane View Post
    It also takes a long time to flash a stock file into the ECM through a J2534 device.
    I wasn't going to break that news yet
    I don't remember the exact times but it is faster than reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorzane View Post
    Who do you want the stock reads sent to? I have a lot of customers with the 6.7L.
    support@efilive.com with a few details on the truck.

Thanks,
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

[QUOTE=GMPX;153226]I wasn't going to break that news yet
    I don't remember the exact times but it is faster than reading them.

Sorry, I work on a bunch of Dodge trucks and I was amazed of how long it took to flash the 6.7L. It's about 20 min. I never counted, I start the flash and move on to something else. I'm glad I have a flash program setting on my charger.

Would you like the trans file sent as well as the engine file?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.497535,-96.902658

Yes please on the trans file. No guarantee we are going to get the TCM supported any time this year, but at least if we have a selection of files we can assess the situation better.
    On the flash times being 20 mins on the 6.7L, Cummins really implemented a pretty poor method of reprogramming the ECM. Unfortunately everyone (including Dodge dealers) is stuck with this snails pace flash system it uses. Technically there is no need for it to be so slow, the GM ECM's using the same CPU as the 6.7L ECM can be reprogrammed in about 2 minutes, in about 25 seconds if it's just a calibration update.
    Trust me, if there was a way we could fix the slowness we would, but the way the Cummins ECM is designed it's not possible to change how the factory implemented reading or writing the ECM. Still, it's better than nothing isn't it (ask any LML owner).

Are 2010 and 2011 6.7s included? I have several 2011s in the fleet I manage that we haven't deleted yet that I could throw at ya.

I don't think it will work. At some point (I think it may have been 2010) Cummins moved to yet another ECM type, I'm not sure how different that ECM is to the original 6.7L ECM as far as reading & flashing them. Physically there are certainly different.

Ross,

On your stated flashing times...the aftermarket box tuners are able to flash a 6.7 just as fast as a 5.9...approx 5min.

Just a heads up for you...

~Les
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

That makes sense Les, J2534 devices tend to do things by the book so they probably aren't flashing as fast as is actually possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast