Thread: L92 stroker engine won't run higher than about 3800rpm

Default L92 stroker engine won't run higher than about 3800rpm

I've gotten my engine running in an off road buggy project (so standalone ECM setup) with Ross' help to add the VATS patch. I'm taking the engine into Jannetty Racing tomorrow for full tuning but right now the engine won't rev above 3800 rpm. My first thought was the engine is in "reduced power mode" or limp mode but I don't any evidence of that like DTC codes and nothing in the scan software popping up. But I'm also a complete NOOB with EFIlive really. previously I've used the software for limited 6L80 tuning. I am just revving the engine up in park, I'm not driving it around just yet. I added fuel to the open loop tables for in P/N and in gear since my engine is an l92 stroked to 7.0L. I also went into the cylinder volume and increased that to .875, which I confirmed is the same as an LS7 is setup.

One thing I was thinking to try is change the closed loop table to greatly increase the time before it goes closed loop and see if that lets it rev to 6100rpm in open loop (stock rpm limit that's set)

Is there a way to tell if the engine is in reduced power mode and what other things should I check to see thats limiting my RPM? My concern is this is something we won't fix easily on the dyno and I'll eat up all the dyno tuning time chasing this problem down.

Thanks in advance!

Ted Jannetty had this problem nailed. I missed that in the engine protection section of Engine operation GM limits the RPM in neutral and park to 4,000rpm. The other gears fuel to 6,000rpm and redline is 6100 rpm. Here is a screen shot ( I modified it just in park to test) just in case anyone else runs into this problem, at least I can provide a bit of knowledge to the forum

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revlimiterbygear.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	11768

if that doesnt work^^^ its prob on engine power reduced, check ur grounds...

Thanks for posting