Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5.9L ECM limits have been conquered

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    And why cant the Allison talk to the V2? EFILive's been tuning the Allisons for about 5 years now. I cant remember if the latest 6spd is fully supported yet, but it might be by now.

We've heard all Allison 1000s use the same TCM for different applications but are still year-specific. ie a 2006 Allison 1000 6spd uses the same TCM in a Silverado HD as in a motorhome chassis.

Yes the V2 can talk to the ALLISON TCM for any 1000, 2000, or 2400 series TCM up to about 08(5 speed and A40 6 speed TCM's).

Hmmm interesting, didnt know that. I remember a year or two back where everyone was hot and heavy on swapping an Allison behind a Cummins and a company made all the adapters to do it including the TCM.

DESTROKED is the one making the adapters, but they only supported teh 5 speed TCM's. They got PCS to make a program that would allow a PCS fuel box work as an interface box to provide a TPS signal for a stock ALLISON TCM from an 03-04 LB7 GM truck. They still make them, but haven't made a 6 speed set-up yet as the 5 speed TCM used a more generic J1939 protocol whereas the 6 speed TCM's use teh GM CCAN based protocol only. The 6 speed TCM can be made to work though as MAXPF has been playing around with it. If somebody would make a CAN based emulator though, one could swap a 6 speed ALLISON into most anything(or if ALLISON would lift there restrictions off of there programming, one could make a custom OS using the ALLISON DOC program).

Gotta love that, and Truck Source says is a pretty stock truck! It sucks, I really REALLY want a diesel now (Dmax or Cummins) to tune and see these huge gains with. Dang, not in the cards currently.
    Not to go OT here, but figured I would clear up some things here.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by skneeland View Post
    pm me with an email address & ill send you a smarty base tune with all the torque management and transmission protect turned off
    Ive seen a smarty tune and looks like they basically juice up the pedal and disable all the tqmanagement from what i can see. Not exactly the smoothest way imo. My email is buhidar@trucksourcediesel.com however if you need it.

Im gonna guess there are tables we dont have yet (as the efi guys have been concentrating on the rpm limitations) that have to do with torque management. I played with the pedal and some rail pressure and a few things in the tq management tables and went from hitting a "limiter" around 20psi on the line w/ mid 1.8 60 foots to being able to massage the pedal enough on the line and build as much boost as wed like and cut some mid to high 1.6s. Ill bet when they find it (and if its there im sure they will!) well be able to make tq management a total thing of the past.

Anyone else played w/ this kind of thing in a drag racing scenario much?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    Not to go OT here, but figured I would clear up some things here.
    Thanks for clearing that up, yes DESTROKED was the guy/company now I remember.

Back on topic now, gotta love no defuelling at high RPMs with the 5.9s now!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I have. I'm sure there are tables that EFI hasn't come up with yet (publicly.) I can tell you that a good friend of mine compared the popular tune you're speaking of against an EFI tune in HEX format and came up with a sizable chunk of data that was not in EFI's tune. Whether that be "X" programmer's way of writing files to flash ECM, or their way of tuning, or it may be exactly the missing link to torque management, I can't say because it's hard to decode the HEX format into something that's understandable. I can tell you having the torque tables opened up with what you're trying to do DOES make a difference.

Now, trying to tune around it without cheating with a box tuners base file? You can, somewhat. But it kinda negated the whole principle of getting the truck to run how I wanted it to on the streets and all around. Until we have some type of better control over torque management alone, it's kinda of a tradeoff.

Oh, FYI, it took me several phone calls and 3 OS's to finally get my tuning to take effect like it should. I.e. Pulse limiting option had no effect (always limited no matter what setting) with other tables even using files that the box tuner didn't touch. I'd copy, script, update you name it from the base tuner file into a fresh untouched file, and it'd run like crap. Partly due to some files were nit being copied or written right, and partly due to tuning with tables that I couldn't see had dramatic effect on the tuning with it. Im just trying to save somebody else running into the problems I did. But we're all big boys. I won't EVER try to cheat again! What I've got now is good enough, better than everything I've had before, but with torque tables supported via EFI, I really don't see anything else to be had.
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    I have. I'm sure there are tables that EFI hasn't come up with yet (publicly.) I can tell you that a good friend of mine compared the popular tune you're speaking of against an EFI tune in HEX format and came up with a sizable chunk of data that was not in EFI's tune. Whether that be "X" programmer's way of writing files to flash ECM, or their way of tuning, or it may be exactly the missing link to torque management, I can't say because it's hard to decode the HEX format into something that's understandable. I can tell you having the torque tables opened up with what you're trying to do DOES make a difference.

Now, trying to tune around it without cheating with a box tuners base file? You can, somewhat. But it kinda negated the whole principle of getting the truck to run how I wanted it to on the streets and all around. Until we have some type of better control over torque management alone, it's kinda of a tradeoff.

Oh, FYI, it took me several phone calls and 3 OS's to finally get my tuning to take effect like it should. I.e. Pulse limiting option had no effect (always limited no matter what setting) with other tables even using files that the box tuner didn't touch. I'd copy, script, update you name it from the base tuner file into a fresh untouched file, and it'd run like crap. Partly due to some files were nit being copied or written right, and partly due to tuning with tables that I couldn't see had dramatic effect on the tuning with it. Im just trying to save somebody else running into the problems I did. But we're all big boys. I won't EVER try to cheat again! What I've got now is good enough, better than everything I've had before, but with torque tables supported via EFI, I really don't see anything else to be had.
    Great info! i havent tried to "cheat" w/ a box tuner tune either, as there were too many downsides i didnt want to deal with. the only reason to "cheat" would be to take advantage of what we cant see yet in the tune, as its already in there. The files we've been running are built from scratch off the stock file. With small adjustments i was able to get around some of the tq management to get a decent 60 foot without having to sacrifice too much. Its a fine line you have to walk. but like you said once we get the other tables, if they exist, itll be way better.

People will soon discover w/ the dmax and ford world already know, custom tuning will be the BEST option out there, bar none.

Wonder what itd take to convice the EFI guys to provide software for the powerstroke world? haha. IMO its far superior product and customer service compared to what is offered in the powerstroke world for customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by skneeland View Post
    pm me with an email address & ill send you a smarty base tune with all the torque management and transmission protect turned off
    I have been told that doing this has some negative side effects (gear position indicator stops working), is that right?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    I can tell you that a good friend of mine compared the popular tune you're speaking of against an EFI tune in HEX format and came up with a sizable chunk of data that was not in EFI's tune.
    Wonder how he got he's EFILive tune in Hex format?
    What we have found is the Cummins ECM seems to have a lot of tables that do nothing, or better put, not used on the 5.9L. So whilst he might see lots of differences in 'hex', don't assume that something changed is even used. 'If in doubt, max it out' seems to be the way of thinking for some.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I have been told that doing this has some negative side effects (gear position indicator stops working), is that right?
    yes, no gear indicator light, but the tires light up from a dead stop with a touch of the throttle.

is it possibly some form of a manual tune allowing this?
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345