Thread: shift solenoids not working till commanded

Default shift solenoids not working till commanded

my buddy put his truck back to stock with a stock 60E. the truck starts out in 3rd gear because for some reason my shift solenoids are not turning on. However with my scan tool i can go into the DVT(f12) tab and command both of them on. When i do that the truck starts off in 1st gear like it is suppose to. So to me that tells me that the solenoids are not bad and it must be something else.

its not throwing any codes. does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? something in the tune maybe?
    has no idea how to tune!!

Compare the tune against a stock tune to see if any DTC's have been disabled.

Check also these components for correct operation: TPS, VSS, ECT, IAT, TFT, MAP, MAF.

Also look at the TSTATE07 and TSTATE08 pids.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Compare the tune against a stock tune to see if any DTC's have been disabled.

Check also these components for correct operation: TPS, VSS, ECT, IAT, TFT, MAP, MAF.

Also look at the TSTATE07 and TSTATE08 pids.
    i cant compare the tune with a stock one because its locked because it was tuned by nelson out of texas.

i did make a small log in the driveway. it included pids you listed above. im not sure how to check if they are working correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    has no idea how to tune!!

For example:

TPS: with key on engine off (KOEO) log this pid and slowly sweep the throttle from zero to max and back, the log graph should show a steady increase to max followed by a steady decrease to zero with no dips/spikes or dead/flat spots.

VSS: when driving does it look sane with no dips/spikes.

MAP: with KOEO does it read same as barometric pressure (~100kPa close to sea level).

IAT, ECT, TFT: at KOEO after sitting overnite do they all read very close to each other, and when driving do they make sense.

If the tune is locked, then:
    - you won't be able to check if any transmission DTC's have been turned off,
    - you won't be able to check that the shift tables and throttle kickdown tables make sense.

If you can command the shift solenoids via DVT (are you sure they responded correctly) then the problem is either in a failed sensor or in the tune.

Can you command 1st, 2nd and 4th, and does the trans correctly go into each of those gears (get your buddy to drive while you command DVT on the laptop, listen/feel for the commanded gear, log VSS, RPM, GEAR, TIS, TOS to verify).