Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock vs Smarty vs EFi Live

what kind of egts are u guys seeing with your stock trucks?

I can peg my 1600* pyro gauge in no time if I want to. But I'm slowly working my fuel down to get a better air/fuel ratio to cool it down and it's actually running smoother and power hasn't suffered.
    06 5.9L, EFILive / Silver Bullet Tuning
    06 LBZ, EFILive

With a 3200 main puls and post disabled I can get to 1500* by midway through OD on a pull from a stop. I am experimenting like FUBAR, taking it down a little at a time to get it a little cooler.

To the OP, do you know if there was any added pressure to your tune?

just makin sure i wasnt the only one. by 90mph its hittin 1600. thats were i let out. im messin with the timing now. was at 38* and pumped it up to 40*. seemed to help some. changed it to 42* today but didnt get a chance to drive it. you takin duration or pressure out of it? im only runnin a 2700 pw, so im thinking pressures what needs to come out. thanks for the feedback guys.

denny

Pressure and duration kinda go hand in hand. I am cutting both back, but more so duration. I like to run as much pressure as I can to get the utmost atomization per quantity of fuel so it will completely burn and get the most cooling. One can flip that statement on it's head though. When Sled pulling, we can dump so much fuel that 1: we're getting all the power we can get from flooding fuel (black smoke due to getting a little extra power from the fuel atoms partially breaking down) and 2: (here's where it flips the statement I made earlier) the extra fuel almost has a cooling effect up to a certain saturation point, so down the pull, we're cheating to keep from melting the motor down along with all our other tricks.

Oh, and the most timing I've run on a 2700uS is 47* (27*) without rattling.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Oh, but, BIG but, I'm running a single injection event throughout the whole tune. So I believe I can get away with more than others. I dont like phasing pilot out either. It rattles a bit when it signs off and on (I could fix that, but I don't want pilot anyways) and I'd rather focus on just the Main event. Makes it simpler to tune and provides me with the biggest window to make my truck run as powerful and smooths as possible (minus the 24 valve sound idling, which I love!) Just talk to Ben Strader a EFI guru and listen to his philosophy.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

cool, thanks for the breakdown. i did what les and some others have done with pilot and cut it out after 2600rpms. havnt noticed any rattling but will listen tomorrow. i could tune it out i guess. did u just add the timing that pilot was calling for to the main event or just add timing, see how it reacted and make changes? im also runnin 180mpa at 3500rpm for pressure. dont want to go above 3500 with the stock top end. again, thanks for the info. just makin sure im in the ballpark. first time tuning and still learning.

denny

FUBAR, I know this can be individually biased and on a per truck basis but how much max timing do u think could be run on a 900-1000RWHP pulling truck. say 50-55 degrees in efilive values with. 2700-2800us, 3500-4000 RPM, single injection event, 180 Mpa. Just don't want to chance anything blowing up before some logged runs on the rollers.

Jake

I found what minimum timing I needed to run without getting the side effects of running it. White smoke, stumbling etc. It definitely helped doing so hand in hand with another guy on here.

And I know our rail sensor is not totally accurate at high pressures and fining out truly what pressure we are running is not entirely possible (just call Todd up at TC Diesel) but 180 mpa?? How is your CP3 keeping up? Hint, tune to keep desired to actual pressure the same and the truck shall reward you. I only run 164 mpa max. And that's just at a small portion of the table.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Jake, I would say 28*-32* BTDC. Which equates to 48*-52* in EFI values with 20* added in. Remember to adjust shut off to rpm too.
    06 LBZ, EFILive

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast