Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E40 calc.vet??

Default E40 calc.vet??

As a huge beleiver in the calc.vet method of tuning (done several this summer with great results) I have a friends GTO coming in that I did some tuning on last year, ls3 heads, intake, he just put a different cam in it. I imagine that it will be pretty close as the cam is smaller and better suited to the ls3 heads. I would like to try the CALC.VET on it, and my wifes GTO if I ever get around to putting a cam in that thing.

I didnt have a ton of time to look today, but I am sure that the E40 has different pids that will have to be used to get it to work.

I know that this is the gen3 section, but I thought that if anybody had tried it they would chime in, or for sure this would get more looks being around the calc.vet stuff. (JOECAR)

E40 has a straight VE table (non-virtual) and two MAF tables (low freq and high freq), so Calc.VET should be able to be done on E40.

If the E40 doesn't have the DYNAIRTMP_DMA then it will have to be constructed as a calc pid using the temperature blend table, look at the 1998 section of the Calc.VET tutorial.

Does E40 have the pid EQIVRATIO...?

Can you post a log showing which of the pids shown in the Calc.VET table work for E40.

Thanks Joe,
    I will try and look tommorow afternoon and see(dont have my laptop with me now). I dont think it has either DYNAIRTMP, or EQIVRATIO. Last year when I messed with this GTO I used the first CALC.VE method. I am sure we can make CALC.VET work.

Default Bringing this back from the dead

I never got a chance to mess with my wifes car this last fall to see if it would work or not. I now have a friends GTO here with a fresh 441 and would like to use the CALC.VET method of tuning. I love it on my car and everything else I have tuned. I dont seem to get along with the AutoVE method of tuning.

I had tuned the car two years ago using the CALC.VE method and it worked pretty well, now we shall see it CALC.VET will work with the e40. I have the car here and will see what pids are valid, and what we have to work with.

I messaged Joecar earlier and he is onboard with it. He wanted me to post up the tune file. This is the tune I did two years ago with CALC.VE with only the change for the ls9 injectors he is now running (Car had ls2 bottom end with ls3 heads,intake, and a spinmonster?? cam in it)

The car with this tune ildes perfect, has a bit of cam surge, not bad. Drivability is all around pretty good. (had to get it about 30 miles to my shop with easy driving) So hopefully it wont be too much of a hassle to get it in line with the new found cubic inches.

While I am thinking of it, its been since last fall that I did any tuning other than Duramax stuff, those who are familiar with CALC.VET can I just input the 441 cid when I edit log file info as it is not in the dropdown list, or do I have to do something different??

Hopefully this works and the car runs great, I am essentially building the same engine for my f-body as we speak and hope to have it running by the end of April.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Len,

Can you check if the E40 validates/supports the pid GM.EQIVRATIO or something similar...?

I know it doesn't support the DYNAIRTMP_DMA pid, but we can edit one from the air temp blend table in the tube file.

It would appear that the e40 doesnt support CYAIR_DMA, DYNCLAIR_DMA,DYNAIRTMP_DMP, or EQUIVRATIO.

I just loaded my normal pid selection for CACL.VET currently MAFFREQ is invalid, but MAFFREQ 2 is valid so I assume that will work.

The only fuel sys pid I see that may work is SAE.LAMBDA , but that is commanded equivalance ratio, so I dont know.

I see I need to update my software as well, it has been since last fall.

just for kicks I took the car for a drive tonite logging what I could with the pids I had available. Drives pretty damn good for having a tune for a much smaller engine. Fuel trims off at idle and in 6th gear, if I stayed in 5th they sat a zero. Got into it a few times, gets lean up top, like 12% or so. Starts breaking up a bit. Didnt stay in it long, but you have to see where you stand. Has some cam surge around town, but not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmauto View Post
    It would appear that the e40 doesnt support CYAIR_DMA, DYNCLAIR_DMA,DYNAIRTMP_DMP, or EQUIVRATIO.

I just loaded my normal pid selection for CACL.VET currently MAFFREQ is invalid, but MAFFREQ 2 is valid so I assume that will work.

The only fuel sys pid I see that may work is SAE.LAMBDA , but that is commanded equivalance ratio, so I dont know.

I see I need to update my software as well, it has been since last fall.
    I can edit something up for those pids...

eqr = 1/lambda

dat can be looked up from the tune and edited in

maffreq2 will be used in the map
    Last edited by joecar; April 9th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

That would be great, just let me know what I need to do. Thanks Joe

To make a pid for DAT see the Calc.VET thread see the section regarding the 19980100, 1998020, 19980400 OS's... we can duplicate this for the E40;

[ DAT = dynamic air temperature ]

Meanwhile here is partial calc_pids.txt using SAE.LAMBDA instead of GM.EQIVRATIO, see attached

[ they are related as follows: GM.EQIVRATIO = 1 / SAE.LAMBDA ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast