Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help with a DBW to DBC conversion

Default Need a little help with a DBW to DBC conversion

I have had too many problems with my truck, and have determined that I need to do a DBC conversion. I have an 05 Silverado 5.3 Magnacharger with a 4l80e swap. My truck often times would go into REP mode at WOT, and I would get a P1516 code. I lived with it by just leaving my controller plugged in the ODBII port, and clearing the codes when I was driving. It would do it as I was crossing the traps at the strip, so it wasn't all the time that it happened. I recently switched my supercharger pulley from a 2.9 to a 2.6, and it went into REP every single time I drove it. At part throttle I would get a P2101, and if I made it to full throttle I would get a P1516. There is no way I could come close to a 1/4 mile pass. Earlier today I was trying to find a bad wire or something that could cause this, and now it goes into REP as soon as I turn the key on. I have decided to just switch to a DBC in order to eliminate the frustration that I have previously went through with it. I currently am running a COS3, and would like to continue with it.

My questions are: Is there a complete write up for this (I couldn't find on on here)? Do I need to run a IAC (this is a summer only vehicle, and Idle is not my main concern)? Since I have a 4l80e swap, should I start with a tune that has a 4l80e or just do a segment swap? How can I determine if a tune is for a DBC? Will everything be OK since I had to repin a couple places for the 4l80e swap?

Lifetime Member

Hello Justasbc,

Have you logged airflow and adjusted C6101 (ETC predicted Airflow) accordingly ?

If you are using a MAF sensor B6102 (ETC Max predicted MAF Flow) will also need to be altered.

There are more and more DBW boosted vehicles that run fine if set up properly - all Gen IVs are DBW only. Don't give up on the DBW just yet ...

Regards,
    Taz

I am not running a MAF, but I have tried everything with B6101. I really didn't want to leave the DBW, but my truck has never been able to drive in the throttle over 1/4 mile, and now it won't drive at all. I have way too much in the DBW now, and it still doesn't even run. I am afraid I will go through this in a few more years too. I am very surprised that when you get codes like I am you just can't pinpoint a problem from the code. The only answer I can get from anyone is that it is not working properly, and maybe I have a bad wire or connection somewhere.

Might also look at C6102, and at C5501-2 and C3901-7... try disabling some of those tests.

Lifetime Member

There is no write up, I don't believe very many people have done this swap.
    You are asking questions about the IAC and 4L80 segment swap, but
    are you ready to swap the PCM ? All the 1mb PCMs are drive by wire
    you are going to have to get a 512k PCM.

-Justin

Might also look at C6102... and at C5501-2, C3003-4, C3901-7, try disabling the tests.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by L31Sleeper View Post
    All the 1mb PCMs are drive by wire
    you are going to have to get a 512k PCM.

-Justin
    Some 2005 full size van (Express / Savana) had Gen III V8 engines, 1Mb PCMs, and DBC throttle bodies. I wouldn't give up on the DBW system just yet - but the DBC van tune (and 1 Mb PCM) could be a "fall back" plan if all else fails.

Regards,
    Taz

I actually remembered that I had my old 78mm T-body laying around. I just plugged it in, and didn't get any codes. I tried my 87mm, and 90mm again, and got the codes. I am thinking it might be the X-link. I would love to not have to change it.

Lifetime Member

I have a 2006 Express 6.0 4L80e 4x2 DBC with 1MB tune if you need to look at one for reference
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Slow10, I would love to take a look at that tune please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast