Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Project BMW E46 357ci V8

Well most of those E46s here in the US had traction control and stability control. Since the network can't interface with your GM ECM you might be able to recode the other modules to either not see the ABS module or have just plain ABS without traction control. Thereby getting rid of the nasty yellow traction control light on the dash.

If you could find an E46 with just ABS you could use that hydraulic unit with module and recode the car. You must find a good BMW tech or Google to your hearts content.

This is the main reason people shy away from newer engine swaps. With todays technology sooner or later someone will reverse engineer networks enough to rewrite some language to use the GM ECM with whatever platform you are sticking it in.

I am a Volkswagen/Audi tech. On those cars one can simply pull power to the module not wanted (such as ABS) and simply recode the CAN gateway module (the module that looks for all the other modules) and a few others too so the car will function withoput all those lights on the dash.

Anyway not bashing you or your work because you my friend are a trendsetter. You have done something very few have accomplished. You took an already nice ride and made it VERY nice and now FUN to drive!

Regards, John

Uk car cars have ASC or DSC depending on age, mine had ASC, kind of the point of fitting an LS is to spin the wheels at will so I never had any intension of trying to make it work!!

ABS works, unless you make the mistake I made by removing the DME (BMW engine ECU) as this controls a lot of the car via the canBus.

As you say once someone makes a can writer available (many available for plant (diggers etc) over here but not for cars yet it'll make life easier for us.

Got Some E90 mirrors from VasJ he'd already started fitting the drivers one but some muppet decided to modify his car before he'd finished :(

A few hours with belt sander/air saw/drill I got the drivers one something like it should be still needs a small adjustment to get the top edge where I want it, altho the triangle is the same shape it's a different size so a bit of creativity is going to be required to make them look factory & I'm going to have install the motors from an E46 as the E90 is canBus.

I've done just over 2000 miles in it since UBMW @ SantaPod and I'm still loving it so much in fact it's become my everyday car I've still got a few bits to finish re-do but that's to be expected with a project of this scale.

My diff needs a rebuild while I'm doing this I'll be changing the ratio from 3.64 to 3.2 to make 6th gear a real overdrive.
    The gearbox needs some love too I'm having difficulty changing gears at higher rpm so at the moment I'm deciding which way to go either the new Tremec T6060 box or rebuild my box with new carbon shift pads & syncro's.
    I've got a patch of rust that's appeared on the inside of the left rear arch so this needs sorting too & I'm also considering refurbishing the dash trims & seat backs with Carbon Fibre.

SimonLpearce came over the other night to collect his HSD's for his track slag so took him for a quick spin around the estate & think he was impressed.....

Not sure how much or any of the above will get sorted before the magazines feature it as I have a new job so can't spend half my week at DynoTorque playing with it anymore but I'll do my best to make sure it's as close to perfect as I can.

Few more pics I've found

Must have been dirty.... Daddy washing it for me!

A micro update
    Had a bit of time to play with the E92 mirrors I've fitted some E46 6pin motors into them & wired them to my car which was 12 pin..

It's the cover car in this months Performance BMW in the shops Thursday.

Hey, good job on making the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hey, good job on making the cover.
    Thankyou not just the cover but a 7 page article & centre spread

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast