Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a transmission tuning tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    Thanks.
    Good ideas.
    We need to organize it and tidy it up and think up all angles.

Edit: I added 2 edits to the above description.
    For a temporary solution, I have taken your post and made it a PDF and hosted it for others to download. Figure until it gets all tidy and stuff at least it can be saved easily. If you have a problem with this, I'll be happy to remove it or if you like it I can edit it as you wish.

A4 Tutorial by joecar
    Must have adobe acrobat to view.

PS - I didn't see any mention of if a shift kit is installed. I have always read to put the shift times to 0 to disable adaptive shift learning

This is all great stuff! Black, thanks for pdfin' that info. I also think that it is important that we also elaborate on what the parameters are actually controlling when providing "tricks" and "settings". Also knowing safe ranges of parameters so we can tell if we are getting off course with the adjustments. I thought I had read in the past where some settings could destroy the pump if moved to far. Warnings like this should also be addressed.

I have noticed that the "torque reduction" seems to be a big factor for firming up the shifts.............if I where to just adjust the TR %, will it firm up all the shifts without any other changes?

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Anytime!! If we can make things easier I am all for it. You guys sort it out and I'll make it up and host it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black02SS
    For a temporary solution, I have taken your post and made it a PDF and hosted it for others to download. Figure until it gets all tidy and stuff at least it can be saved easily. If you have a problem with this, I'll be happy to remove it or if you like it I can edit it as you wish.

A4 Tutorial by joecar
    Must have adobe acrobat to view.

PS - I didn't see any mention of if a shift kit is installed. I have always read to put the shift times to 0 to disable adaptive shift learning
    Chad, thanks, I do appreciate your help .
    I don't have PDF tools (but I do have various C/C++ cross-compilers/assemblers for x86, 68K and PPC... ).

My F-bird doesn't seem to do adaptive shift learning, so I can't say much about disabling this;
    someone else knows this so I'll let them chime in.

Cheers
    Joe
    Last edited by joecar; January 13th, 2006 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    ..if I where to just adjust the TR %, will it firm up all the shifts without any other changes?
    Howard,

For safety, bump up shift pressure some (to reduce clutch/band slip), and reduce shift time to around 0.3s;
    for street use, don't overdo shift pressure.
    Then adjusting TR down will increase the firm feel.

What do you think about shift kits joe?

What do you think about shift kits joe?
    Some are good, some are bad; you have to read users' comments.

You're looking for firmed up shifts and prolonged transmission life.

A good one will increase pressure and flow to the apply components and comes with bigger 2-4 servo piston to utilize this.

Some shift kits require the stock PCM trans. calibration (to avoid blowing line pressure too high); this is a very important point.

Street use under 400+ ftlb, you can be okay without a shift kit;
    just program the trans calibration to be firm (not harsh) and be sure there's no slip and no jerking.

Drag racing, or over 400+ ftlb, you will need a shift kit and may need some other parts also
    (improved band and clutches, and if even more torque, then hard parts also).

Before PCM's controlled transmissions, shift kits were a must if you made any torque, and to prolong life of trans.
    There was no other controlled and safe way to bump up line pressure and reduce clutch slip during shifts.

Now with PCM's, the factory calibration has line pressure set some higher (to prevent slipping/burning) but also has a lot of torque reduction (to protect drivetrain conservatively to avoid warranty repairs).

Some shift kits are for race only (super firm, no prisoners) and require reinforced trans hard parts, heavy duty driveshaft and rear axle and engine mounts.

I don't have a shift kit, my F-bird is almost stock; when I worked for my dad in his trans. shop in Sydney we installed a few shift kits, and they did well; but that was before PCM's controlled transmissions (...gives you an idea of my age... ).
    Last edited by joecar; January 13th, 2006 at 05:47 AM.

I have read and heard it said that if you have a shift kit, to remove learning by setting the shift speed to 0 to disable it. My theory on this is you bought it for a reason, why have the PCM counteract what it is designed to do. (I have a M6).

I have read and heard it said that if you have a shift kit, to remove learning by setting the shift speed to 0 to disable it. My theory on this is you bought it for a reason, why have the PCM counteract what it is designed to do. (I have a M6).
    I heard that too and it makes sense, you don't want the shift kit and the PCM trying to chase each other;
    setting shift time to zero allows the shift kit to correctly apply intended pressure without PCM trying to mess it up.

Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Oh, no more requests please .
    Your post was a good read, there, tutorial is done.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Sorry Ross, I was just thinking out loud (...blabbering to myself as I usually do... ),
    I didn't mean to overwhelm your already overworked schedule.

Cheers
    Joe

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast